php. beginners version

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by johnh57, Jan 22, 2015.

1. johnh57 macrumors regular

I have the need for a relatively simple php/mysql app and I would appreciate guidance as to a decent book or guide to learning the basics.

Unfortunately my programming skills end with fortran iv and mainframe computers, and those skills are seriously rusty.

Is there a decent publication for php? I dont want youtube, or online tutorials just yet. I'd like an decent honest to goodness book that covers html and php.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I moved your post over to the Web Design and Development forum where you are more likely get some help.

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Sams Teach Yourself PHP, MySQL and Apache. All in one starter kit for learning. Will include everything you need. Sams Teach Yourself HTML, CSS and Javascript All In One. Both good books for starting and easy to follow along.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can get the basics with free interactive lessons at codeacademy.com
    Classes in HTML, CSS, JavaScript jQuery, PHP, Python, Ruby
    Keeps track of your progress too.

5. johnh57 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I ordered some guides. It remains to be seen if I got the right ones.

The tutotrials are fine, but they seem massively counter intuitive to me. Each tutorial seems to begin assuming you already know something about some other code or language first.

I read a bit about one code, then go read about another code the first code seems to refer to the most. I'm beginning to build a conceptual diagram in my head about programming architecture, but its slow going given my archaeic background.