PHP development set up, SVN help...

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by smilinmonki666, Jan 14, 2011.

1. smilinmonki666 macrumors regular

Hi,

I'm sure this is the best place to put this, so here goes.

I currently have my iMac set up for PHP development. So far, fine.

I have the following set up & running smoothly:

Apache -> vhost & hosts file configured correctly

PHP -> ini file configured correctly

MySQL -> All set up correctly

I am using NetBeans for my Dev software which I use at work on my Windows machine (Not allowed macs :( ) along with TextMate.

My biggest problem I have now is trying to set up subversion, now I think I am being thick as I've read so many guides with different information I may have just frazzled my head a bit as I've been on this for a week or so.

Please could someone help me from the beginning to the end to set up svn and start using NetBeans with with svn.

my dev area is within my Sites folder if that helps?

2. Alan S macrumors member

Do a

">which svnadmin"

and let us know the result. Subversion might already be installed. It is installed on my Mac, but that might be an artifact of downloading "SmartSVN" I'm not sure yet.

3. smilinmonki666 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, was meant to put that in.

The result is /usr/bin/svnadmin

4. Alan S macrumors member

It looks like you have SVN installed already. I'm short of time at the moment but maybe someone can help with the rest of the question. This is some things I'll want to get setup myself this weekend, so might post in a day or two if no one else does.

5. HomeBru Studios macrumors member

HomeBru Studios

Use git. The footprint is smaller so you won't be wasting your diskspace with repositories and branches.

6. smilinmonki666 thread starter macrumors regular

I would use git but someone I know used svn, then switched to git and after 6 months he moved back to svn. I've been told that svn is better for versioning and calibration of code. But then I'm only going on whatever been told.

How easy is this to setup. Its an option to look at just to test more that anything and have a play around.

Also what are our views of svn vs Git? I'm going to read up on it but its nice to hear others views. Also, is git usable with xCode?

Cheers, & sorry for the questions.

7. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

I personally use SVN at work and at home. View the man for "svn" it will tell you how to create repositories and add files.

8. overcast, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2011

overcast macrumors 6502a

I use git for all of my developments, both at home and in the office. Small footprint, efficient, DISTRIBUTED and you can't beat free tools like SmartGIT on the Mac.

Any of the repos are usable with anything. Just because xCode doesn't have built in git support, doesn't mean you can't setup git to use it's files as a repo.

9. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

Everyone has their own preference :) I prefer SVN.

10. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Christ, I just tried SmartGit. What a god awful piece of software.

Gitbox or GitX are a million times better than that. Personally though the command line suits me just fine.

11. snouter macrumors 6502a

For Subversion (or Git) I use: http://www.assembla.com/

Very generous free plan.

It's not a bad idea to put your code somewhere not on your computer.