php help with get/post and mac/linux server

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by twoodcc, Jun 27, 2011.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

ok i have 2 questions:

first, i have created a php/mysql site to manage my media (music, videos). right now i use GET to get the genre of the media. but i also need to use GET for another variable. can i do this?

secondly, right now i have all my sites hosted on my mac pro (2006). it does this fine, but i also have another PC desktop that i could use as my server. it has an i7 920 processor.

the issue with the mac pro is that it puts out a lot of heat and uses a lot of power. i'm getting a kill-a-watt to see just how much power it's really using, but i did a test today on the PC that's running ubuntu at the moment. i streamed a video to my ipad (about 3 GB) and it seemed to stream much faster. i'm not quite sure why, but i could fast-forward the video and it would pick right up. the mac pro lags a little bit.

would you recommend snow leopard vs ubuntu? (and really a 2006 vs 2009 computer)

thanks in advance

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Yep. Just add an ampersand and however many variables you want.
    PHP:
    http://server.com/index.php?thisvar=value&thatvar=another
    All my test servers whether they are physical boxes or virtual machines run Ubuntu Server. No GUI, command-line only means less overhead. OS X can be a great web server, but it's got higher hardware requirements.

3. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the reply! i tried, but couldn't get it to do what i wanted. oh well, i'll keep trying.

4. wpotere Guest

If you are having issues with a specific part, you can post up a little of the code (use the code tag) and see if it is something we can help with. ;)