PHP IDE on 10.4 / PPC?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by splitpea, Mar 4, 2010.

1. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Well, I'm finally ready to graduate from TextWrangler to a real IDE. Can anyone recommend a free PHP IDE that runs on PPC / 10.4? Aptana claims to, but hangs after a couple launches. Komodo Edit runs fine but is really limited and doesn't really seem to provide any advantage over a good text editor. What else do you recommend?

2. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

I am heavily in love with netbeans just now though i use it mainly for Ruby on Rails rather than PHP.
    Eclipse is also very good but i like the sub versioning, error reporting, team working, user interface and speed of net beans.

3. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Does Netbeans run reliably on 10.4? The wiki seems to indicate that recent versions have only been tested under 10.5.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I have Aptana, but it feels very sluggish so I rarely use it. BBEdit serves me well for pretty much anything and is very light weight. NetBeans is a good application, which I use for Java, but have never tried it for web development. I haven't found any Mac IDE that I really like for web development, and you seem to be in that same boat. Aptana would be the closest for me, but BBEdit is my preferred home.

5. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I've been getting along just fine for about a decade now with text editors. Mostly I'm just lazy and desperate for something to automatically stub out PHPDoc comment blocks and handle unit testing.

6. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just wanted to follow up to this. I've installed Netbeans, and it's fugly as all getout, but so far is running quite smoothly under 10.4.11 on PPC. :)

7. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Compared to Eclipse(The only other IDE i have used for PHP), Netbeans is very pretty in my experience.

8. dyrer macrumors member

dyrer