PHP - insert string into filename before extension

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by jordanste, Dec 8, 2008.

1. jordanste macrumors member

i need to insert a string into the string $filename before the file extension. i was trying to use substr_replace to do it but i dont think i understand how to use substr_replace and i cant even get it to remove the file extension.

so i need to take "file1.jpg" and change it to "file1-1.jpg"

thanks.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Try this out. Haven't tested though. (edit: now tested)
    PHP:
    $filename preg_replace('/(.*)(\.[\w\d]{3})/''$1-1$2'$filename);
    In the above, the $1 captures the existing name of the file. $2 captures the period plus the extension of the file.

3. macfaninpdx macrumors regular

Also, if you know there won't be any other periods in the filename, you could explode it, modify the name, and then join it back together.
    PHP:
    $name_partsexplode("."$filename);
    $newname $name_parts[0] . "-1" "." $name_parts[1];

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

And since there's a number of ways to skin a cat (and because I'm bored), I'll throw an additional way out.
    PHP:
    $filename substr($filename0, -4) .'-1'substr($filename, -4);
    This assumes you're using files with a 3-letter extension. It also likely runs faster that my first solution as regexp functions take a tad longer to process (the extra time wouldn't be noticeable unless you're using a couple hundred times). This also won't have any issues if there's other . in the file besides for the extension.

5. macfaninpdx macrumors regular

;)

PHP:
    $pos = -strrpos($filename".");
    $filename substr($filename0$pos) . '-1' substr($filename$pos);
    I updated the above to allow for filename extensions longer than 3 characters. This method only requires that a period be used to separate the extension, but periods can also be used in the filename.