PHP Mail or Swift Mail and Google Apps

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by RoboCop001, Jun 21, 2010.

1. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Hi,

I've been searching everywhere for help on this... to no avail!

Hopefully someone here can help me out.

We recently switched our email over to Google Apps. Our forms on the websites worked fine after that, but now they don't seem to be working anymore. At least not with the regular php mail command.

I looked around a while and found Swift Mail, which can do SMTP connections.

Now, it says it requires you to enable openssl by editing the php.ini file on the server.

We have our own webserver which hosts several websites.

I have a some questions...
    1. Does enabling openssl and rebooting the server to activate it interfere with any other email operations that the server may be handling? Besides the downtime, of course.

2. Is there another way to get php mail or Swift Mail to work with Google Apps mail without having to enable openssl or otherwise modify the php settings?

3. Is there a way to install an independent version of PHP on a specific domain so I can enable openssl on a per-domain basis, so that it does not affect domains that do not require it to be enabled?

I just took a look at the server settings. We're using Windows Server 2003. If I turn off hMail for one domain, will that perhaps solve the issue? Maybe it's conflicting... but will that turn it off just for that domain, or for all domains??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much for your time.

2. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Those links deal with setting up mail programs though, which we've already done :)

The problem is that our forms on websites that need to submit information to an email address are no longer working. So when people fill out a form and hit submit, it doesn't do anything.

Swift Mail is just another php mailer, but it has the added capability to use external SMTP servers. It can handle both TLS and SSL authentication.

3. designguy79 macrumors 6502

Umm, did you actually read them? :cool:

One of them has a section about SMTP (outgoing) connections, and the other pretty much talks only about how to Google as your SMTP. The reason I asked about TLS authentication is that is what they require.

Yes, it is not specific to Swift Mail, but the concept is the same.

Use smtp.gmail.com, port 587, and your full e-mail address as the username and of course your password. Should work, although I have never done this.

Good luck!

4. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

I did lol

Right, but that's what I tried when I used Swift Mail. All the ports and everything is correct.

My question isn't really about what info to use for the SMTP, that part I have figured out.

The issues is that it doesn't work without activating openssl on the php.ini file, and I'm wondering if turning that on will affect anything else on the server.

Or if I even really need openssl, if perhaps the problem lies elsewhere lol

5. designguy79 macrumors 6502

Sorry, I guess I didn't read your original question very well! :D

I am not familiar with openssl on a Windows server, nor on setting up a separate php.ini per-domain on Windows, either. On Linux, I can do that using php-cgi, so maybe that can help you find an alternative for Windows.

And yes, as far as I can tell, Google requires TLS connections which means you need to make PHP able to communicate via a secure-socket connection (which is what openssl is for)

HTH! Sorry for the misdirection...

6. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

Haha, no worries! Thanks for the help though.

Yeah I remember seeing php-cgi on the Linux servers I've used so maybe there's something like that for Windows. I'll research that, thanks!

If only openssl was enabled by default! lol

Or even better, why didn't my boss go with Linux! Bah!

7. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

8. designguy79 macrumors 6502

You may have better success posting on a IIS-centric forum. Good luck!