PHP/MySql Book Recommendation

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by dukeofism, Aug 1, 2009.

1. dukeofism macrumors member

I am interested in learning PHP/ MySql. I have found its easiest for me to learn from the structure of a book vs looking through hundreds or tutorials online. A friend of mine leant me Practical PHP and MySQL, but I do not like the way the author covers material in his book. There is too much emphasis on the "practical" side of things, especially for a beginner. It feels he jumps into coding too early without providing enough foundation.
    In high school I took one year of Java, so I understand programming basics, but in terms of PHP I know very little so I am a complete beginner to the language itself.

Does any one have a recommendation on a good book for beginners trying to learn PHP and MySql?

2. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Yes, O'Reilly's Head First PHP & MySQL. I'm currently reading it, I'm at the fourth chapter, and have already created a user management database-drive web application.

Also, if you're serious about learning PHP, it's recommended that you also have a look over PHP Cookbook and Programming PHP.