PHP not able to do much on some servers?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Dal123, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Just a general query here people. I used to use 123reg for hosting, though I find that I can't do too much with mysql databases with them. I have my blog on there and am trying to back it up.
    I tried to install it the clever way (by code) but couldn't get very far - though this is probably my fault, but I do think that some is down to the server not allowing me to mess around with it. They use to have an option to click on the mysql databases to let you know what you had. But they have done away with that now, and don't have permission to load phpMyAdmin. I have emailed them to request how to back-up my database though they are not very helpful hence the reason I'm dumping them.
    So recently gone with vidahost, which looks more advanced, with more options than my previous hosts. Though I struggle to do the most easy things :eek:. Am I correct saying that not a lot of php options available on some servers?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes, but this isn't saying much. A hosting provider that doesn't support PHP won't have PHP.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Not sure what you mean by "php options." My host does let me choose between PHP 4 and 5 and also enabling modsecurity. I can also install my own version of PHP if I want to, which would allow me to control the php.ini file and so could set things up more precisely.

4. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

I cannot even load php.ini It says I do not have privileges to deal with this :(. I used to be able to click on my database, see how many users etc and passwords etc. Now I cannot even do this and they charge extra for this now.
    All that was able for me was to use a one-click install of wordpress and it created all that automatically. I was not able to load my own, at first it was an option, but a month later the host changed their website setup and disabled the privilege of database, it was only an option to one-click. They then started charging extra for databases/ new drive.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What service level do you have? It seems that their "Starter" package doesn't include PHP. Consider upgrading.

http://www.123-reg.co.uk/web-hosting/comparisonpage.shtml

6. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

I'm on plus, I'm moving my .com to vidahost and going to do that with .co.uk also. I'm not happy with 123reg. Service is poor, they leave unanswered questions and only choose to answer some.

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

This is normal for shared hosting, which is likely what you have. This means multiple people have their site running on a single server and single instance of Apache web server. If you were able to edit the php.ini file, you would be changing it for everyone on the server with you. This would be a serious security problem because people could exploit each others code.

Some PHP settings can be changed via a .htaccess file, and others can be changed via PHP (see ini_set()).

8. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

What I don't understand is why there are these detailed setup guides, who can actually do this stuff, presumably only those who host their own servers.
    I cannot back-up my wordpress database as I cannot phpMyAdmin and I cannot use cpanel as 123 does not use cpanel, my new host vidahost does, 123reg will not provide me with a solution lol.

9. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

10. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Yes sir, that's what's got me moody with them. They changed the system a couple of months ago and that is not even how it's set-up now. There are not even them options to click :mad:.

11. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020