Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
hey all im working on securing my php but this bit errors out any help please.
PHP:
$sql = sprintf("UPDATE `forum-topics` (`lastpost`, `lastposttime`, `lasttopic`, `lastid`) VALUES ('%s', '%s', '%d', '%s') WHERE `id` = '$topic'",
			mysql_real_escape_string($username),
			mysql_real_escape_string($today),
			mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['subject']),
			mysql_real_escape_string($number),
			mysql_real_escape_string($topic));
$query = mysql_query($sql);
if(!$query) {
///// error out /////
echo "There was an error, please try again.";
print mysql_error();
}

error

There was an error, please try again.You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '(`lastpost`, `lastposttime`, `lasttopic`, `lastid`) VALUES ('JerryLouise', 'Octo' at line 1

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
I think the SQL syntax you're trying to use is invalid; instead of "UPDATE table (col1,col2,coln) VALUES (val1,val2,valn)" try "UPDATE table SET col1=val1, col2=val2, coln=valn".

Also, you're passing 5 extra parameters to the sprintf, but only using 4. I think you want to replace the $topic in your query with %s.

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
I'm not an expert in SQL, but that UPDATE syntax looks wrong. Also, I think you should remove a bunch of those single quotes.

Update syntax that I've been using

UPDATE tablename SET column_name=new_value where column_id=5

Edit: I checked the syntax and I don't think the keyword "VALUES" is valid for an UPDATE.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
^_^ yey i fixed it,

PHP:
$sql = sprintf("UPDATE `forum-topics` SET `lastpost`='%s', `lastposttime`='%s', `lasttopic`='%s', `lastid`=%d WHERE `id` = %d", 
            mysql_real_escape_string($username), 
            mysql_real_escape_string($today), 
            mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['subject']), 
            mysql_real_escape_string($number), 
            mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['catagory'])); 
$query = mysql_query($sql);

Turns out i was trying to make it like a insert instead of a update. So dose this make the code secure or do i need to do more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.