PHP user management library

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by congay, Jan 16, 2015.

1. congay Suspended

Hi,
    I've currently written my own login system for my project, which is simple, incomplete and probably not as secure as it should be. I think it would be better to use a user management library/script written by people with more experience and one that has been well tested. I've googled for user management php scripts/libraries/frameworks, but its hard to seperate the good ones from the bad ones.

I am looking for a PHP class with basic functionality:

Register / login / logout / isLoggedIn / etc.
    Email account verification
    Password recovery
    At least the possibility to distinguish between a regular user and an admin (preferably more fine-grained permission control).
    Does not mix up logic with HTML or actually I don't need the whole front-end at all, just the functions that handle the database storage stuff that can be called when needed.
    Free for commercial use.
    Does not use the mysql functions that are not supported in the newest PHP releases.

Non-crucial features, which would be nice to have:

Ability to track who is online.
    Social media login (google/facebook/twitter/..)
    A visual user administration panel (to support deleting/editing by administrator)

You have any good suggestions for scripts that meet my requirements?

Thanks

2. 960design macrumors 68000

I wish I could help. I don't have any good script recommendations. Most of the ones you see online are tutorials and lack security, password recovery, SSO, ect.

I ended up writing my own. Currently its proprietary, but maybe someday I can open source it.

I'm sure there are many that would help. Create a github and let the community fine tune your base code.

3. smirking macrumors 6502a

There are plenty of good ones out there, but they're just not marked specifically as user management solutions because the user management is just a piece of it. It's also hard to separate user management from content and access management because what's the point of having a user management library otherwise?

Most forum and content management system programs are built on a foundation of a strong user management library. The specific one that would work best for you would depend on the exact set of features you need the most. On the content management side of things you're looking along the lines of WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal. My personal favorite is Drupal, but do not even attempt to learn that if you need a robust working solution soon as the learning curve is very very steep and frustrates even experienced programmers.
    http://code.tutsplus.com/articles/top-10-most-usable-content-management-systems--net-6493

All of those come with pretty well developed content delivery components of their respective frameworks, which you may not want. In that case, you'll probably want something that comes out of the box without anything preassembled and you'll want to look at... uh... framework frameworks (for lack of a better term to distinguish them from CMS frameworks). These would be things like CakePHP, Laravel, or CodeIgnighter.
    http://mashable.com/2014/04/04/php-frameworks-build-applications/

I'm a CakePHP guy myself though I'd love to try Laravel if I had the time. If anyone out there has a good comparison of CakePHP vs Laravel to show me what I'm missing or not really missing, I'd love to see it.