PHPBB CSS not loading?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by tobefirst, Sep 3, 2008.

1. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I am having trouble with my PHPBB, and I'm hoping someone who has more web experience than I do can help me out. Suddenly, out of nowhere a few days ago, the CSS file stopped loading. I have made no changes to the theme, or styles inside the admin panel, and in fact, the admin panel's CSS is still working. I FTP'd in, and the CSS files for the board are still there.

I am currently using 3.0.0, which isn't the latest version (3.0.2), but it was working fine just a couple days ago!

What could have happened? And, more importantly, any ideas on how I can fix it?

I can't FTP in again until I get home from work, but I'm hoping to get some ideas before I get there.

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Reminds me of 1992, heh. Seriously, though...

In your source all I see loaded are print, normal, medium and large and the latter 3 only control a default font size. I would expect to see your template css file also being loaded, i.e. prosilver.css or default.css located in the prosilver theme directory.

Can you switch to another skin for now?

Did you install any hacks that might have triggered this?

Beyond that, debug as follows:

• In Admin CP go into that theme and check stylesheet setting for spelling errors and check theme directory to ensure its actually there.
    • If so, clear cache and recompile the templates (theme) if you have an option to do so.
    • If all else fails, remove and re-install the theme - maybe from a different source if the original is corrupt
    And if this doesn't help, please let us know and others will make suggestions as well. Bottom line is I don't see a default.css or prosilver.css being loaded at all when I view your HTML source. Usually means its missing, deleted by accident, or theme is setup wrong in Admin CP.

-jim

3. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Jim,

That did it! I would never have thought to do that, and probably wouldn't have had the guts to, unless prompted, so thank you very much! Your advice was spot on. I appreciate the help.

4. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

I like it better the other way. Repeat this procedure after making manual edits to the templates, so the cache gets re-updated with the latest changes. Otherwise just let the cache maintain itself and your phpBB will run very fast (not to mention look normal).

Juuuuuuuuuuust kidding. ;)

-jim