Physical calculator button on a generic USB keyboard - not working at all?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by HystericalDame, Jan 12, 2013.

1. HystericalDame macrumors newbie

My aluminium wired keyboard packed it in last year so I ordered a cheap generic slimline keyboard from eBay the other day. I've spent most of today getting it up to scratch (It has a few silly things, like a § key instead of a left windows key) using KeyRemap4Macbook, which allows me to do things like re-allocate the Alt buttons and the right-hand Windows key, to give me my usual Cmd/Option functionality, as well as changing § into the much-needed left Cmd.

I've spent some time playing with how OS X handles the F keys, and I'll get round to customising those at some point. I am only stumped on one factor:

Between F12 and F13, there is a Calculator button. Now, when I plugged in the keyboard, I was aware that there were a few keys which appeared to do nothing (Print Screen, Num Lock, this Calculator button, many of the F keys), but having since configured the others... this Calculator button really appears to generate no response at all. I downloaded a free app called Key Codes from the app store, and used that to test out these keys, all of which it responded to by giving me their unicodes and other details. However, it doesn't respond at all to the Calculator button. I don't expect it to be clogged or broken considering the keyboard is new out of its box.

Is there anything in Mac OS X (I'm using 10.8.2 on an iMac) that would cause this button to not even register as being pressed, without the physical key being broken? I'm a stickler for things working to their full capacity so I'd like to make use of it if I can, rather than it just sitting there being useless.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Try Better Touch Tool and see if you can program that button to launch calculator.

3. HystericalDame thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, I should have mentioned, I already have BetterTouchTool! It doesn't register the calculator button being set up as a keyboard shortcut either (Some keys, like the keyboard key that brings up the right-click menu, have a shortcut which appears as blank space on BetterTouchTool - this is not the case here, it's ACTUALLY blank.)