Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fivepasthall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2011
What obvious physical changes to the design of the MBA can we expect or anticipate in the next refresh?

I'm talking changes along the lines of removing the bezel around the screen, the much-mooted (and maligned) backlit keyboard and other aesthetic or functional introductions.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Most likely the exterior will be the same. Apple does not change the design that often and MBA was just redesigned in late 2010.

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
What obvious physical changes to the design of the MBA can we expect or anticipate in the next refresh?

I'm talking changes along the lines of removing the bezel around the screen, the much-mooted (and maligned) backlit keyboard and other aesthetic or functional introductions.

None ,besides a TB port, given that this is only the first update on this particular MBA design.

blipmusic

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
They're going to sharpen the edges.

I wouldn't want to read about accidentally slit wrists due to typing on an MBA...

The only thing I dislike is that bezel on the 11", which seems wider than that on the 13". Otherwise it's a true beauty in my eyes. Probably needed due to the keyboard/battery size and what not, though. Perhaps if they made the bezel black, but that'd be treading into MBP design territory, I guess.

Last edited:

Brenzo

macrumors regular
May 1, 2011
Chicago
I don't foresee any major design changes in the upcoming refresh. Perhaps they add an SD slot to the 11" Air (if it's even physically possible.) The only guaranteed change will be the inclusion of Thunderbolt where the DisplayPort is now. Also, I am pretty confident that they Facetime cameras will be HD-capable.

I do think that a black bezel would look sharp, especially considering that the keys are black. Backlit keys are a possibility, but that isn't really a "physical" change.

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
I do think that a black bezel would look sharp, especially considering that the keys are black. Backlit keys are a possibility, but that isn't really a "physical" change.

Black Bezels = glossy displays

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Backlit keys are a possibility, but that isn't really a "physical" change.

How is adding the lights for backlit keys not a "physical" change?

The lights something physical and without them there would be no way to backlight the keyboard. Just because you wouldn't be able to see the actual LED doesn't mean it's not physically there.

davie18

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2010
How is adding the lights for backlit keys not a "physical" change?

The lights something physical and without them there would be no way to backlight the keyboard. Just because you wouldn't be able to see the actual LED doesn't mean it's not physically there.
Well in that case absolutely any changes that they make to the MBA in the update "physical changes", so this thread would be completely pointless because of course there would be "physical changes" in an update otherwise they would have made no changes at all.

I think it's pretty obvious they were just talking about appearance-wise, which is why I can see he was a bit hesitant to include a backlit keyboard into that category.

Brenzo

macrumors regular
May 1, 2011
Chicago
I think it's pretty obvious they were just talking about appearance-wise, which is why I can see he was a bit hesitant to include a backlit keyboard into that category.

Yup. :D

Based on originally threadstarter who asked for "obvious" physical changes, I was working under assumption that we were talking about changes that could be spotted right away, such as an SD slot on the 11" Air and black bezels.

Obviously a backlit keyboard would also require physical hardware changes. Although, since I can count on two hands the number of times I've used BL keys on my 2007 MBP, it's not a deal breaker for me.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Apple redesigned MBP in late 2008 and it's already 2011, but they are still keeping the same design. Apple redesigned NEW iMAC in late 2009, but the design has not been changed.

Expect this MBA design to last 3-4 years.

webitorgal

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
I hope that the models will be lighter, but I doubt that'll happen. A lighter model might make me get the 13". Otherwise, I'll probably stick with the 11".

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010

They can't remove the bezel entirely. This would fail on structural issues (you want a screen to go right to the edge? Good luck). It would also fail the perception test - the bezel is functional. It's why picture frames, televisions, and every other display has a bezel. It helps foreground the monitor from visual clutter behind and around the screen. I may be proved wrong, but I seriously doubt it.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I think Apple should just shove the 13 inch screen into the 11 inch panel and call it a day (it'd fit, technically). You'd get the footprint of the 11 inch with the screen real estate of the 13. Then, allow the SSD to go up to 256GB (or higher) and just sell one model. Yeahh, that'd be nice :p

tungry

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2011
-Unibody carbon fiber and finish it off with gray matte finish.
-Put in one of those upcoming S series ultra portables screens at 13.3 inches with 1600x900.
-Backlit keyboard.
-Make it 2 pounds with 10 Hour battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.