Physical changes in the next MBA refresh

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by fivepasthall, Jun 1, 2011.

1. fivepasthall macrumors newbie

What obvious physical changes to the design of the MBA can we expect or anticipate in the next refresh?

I'm talking changes along the lines of removing the bezel around the screen, the much-mooted (and maligned) backlit keyboard and other aesthetic or functional introductions.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Most likely the exterior will be the same. Apple does not change the design that often and MBA was just redesigned in late 2010.

3. Padraig macrumors 6502a

None ,besides a TB port, given that this is only the first update on this particular MBA design.

4. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

6. blipmusic, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

blipmusic macrumors regular

I wouldn't want to read about accidentally slit wrists due to typing on an MBA...

The only thing I dislike is that bezel on the 11", which seems wider than that on the 13". Otherwise it's a true beauty in my eyes. Probably needed due to the keyboard/battery size and what not, though. Perhaps if they made the bezel black, but that'd be treading into MBP design territory, I guess.

7. Brenzo macrumors regular

I don't foresee any major design changes in the upcoming refresh. Perhaps they add an SD slot to the 11" Air (if it's even physically possible.) The only guaranteed change will be the inclusion of Thunderbolt where the DisplayPort is now. Also, I am pretty confident that they Facetime cameras will be HD-capable.

I do think that a black bezel would look sharp, especially considering that the keys are black. Backlit keys are a possibility, but that isn't really a "physical" change.

8. Padraig macrumors 6502a

Black Bezels = glossy displays

9. brand macrumors 601

brand

How is adding the lights for backlit keys not a "physical" change?

The lights something physical and without them there would be no way to backlight the keyboard. Just because you wouldn't be able to see the actual LED doesn't mean it's not physically there.

10. davie18 macrumors regular

Well in that case absolutely any changes that they make to the MBA in the update "physical changes", so this thread would be completely pointless because of course there would be "physical changes" in an update otherwise they would have made no changes at all.

I think it's pretty obvious they were just talking about appearance-wise, which is why I can see he was a bit hesitant to include a backlit keyboard into that category.

11. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

Great, I can use it to tenderize meat.

12. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

not gonna happen, but it'd be sweet if they made one in brushed aluminum black

13. Brenzo macrumors regular

Yup. :D

Based on originally threadstarter who asked for "obvious" physical changes, I was working under assumption that we were talking about changes that could be spotted right away, such as an SD slot on the 11" Air and black bezels.

Obviously a backlit keyboard would also require physical hardware changes. Although, since I can count on two hands the number of times I've used BL keys on my 2007 MBP, it's not a deal breaker for me.

14. Brenzo macrumors regular

Although I am already planning on picking up a refreshed Air, that would be enough to convince me to pick up two!

15. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

You mean cut meat. You need something blunt to tenderize meat, like the bulky BlackBerry PlayBook :D

16. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Apple redesigned MBP in late 2008 and it's already 2011, but they are still keeping the same design. Apple redesigned NEW iMAC in late 2009, but the design has not been changed.

Expect this MBA design to last 3-4 years.

17. webitorgal macrumors regular

webitorgal

I hope that the models will be lighter, but I doubt that'll happen. A lighter model might make me get the 13". Otherwise, I'll probably stick with the 11".

18. PraisiX-windows macrumors regular

He's probably talking about the current MBA.. LOL

19. Carouser macrumors 65816

They can't remove the bezel entirely. This would fail on structural issues (you want a screen to go right to the edge? Good luck). It would also fail the perception test - the bezel is functional. It's why picture frames, televisions, and every other display has a bezel. It helps foreground the monitor from visual clutter behind and around the screen. I may be proved wrong, but I seriously doubt it.

20. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I think Apple should just shove the 13 inch screen into the 11 inch panel and call it a day (it'd fit, technically). You'd get the footprint of the 11 inch with the screen real estate of the 13. Then, allow the SSD to go up to 256GB (or higher) and just sell one model. Yeahh, that'd be nice :p

21. tungry macrumors newbie

-Unibody carbon fiber and finish it off with gray matte finish.
    -Put in one of those upcoming S series ultra portables screens at 13.3 inches with 1600x900.
    -Backlit keyboard.
    -Make it 2 pounds with 10 Hour battery life.

22. 314631 macrumors 6502a

23. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro