Physical Defect

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jedivulcan, Jun 22, 2012.

1. jedivulcan, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

jedivulcan macrumors 6502

Ordered Tuesday on Apple.com. Received this morning via UPS. Birthday gift for my birthday over the weekend.

I didn't have to get it out of the packaging to see it. I originally thought it was something on the plastic.

I called Apple. Transferred twice. Once from Apple Store -> AppleCare (Mac Department) -> AppleCare (iPad Department)

Described the issue. Nearest Apple Store is over an hour away. Told me I could either get an advance replacement (which would take 3-4 business and have my card charged for an advance replacement or return the UPS store for an 8-9 business day turnaround because I had AppleCare+).

[​IMG]

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

My advice is simple. Go to Apple's website and initiate a return. Call Apple via their 800 # and ask for a prepaid return label and send it back for a full refund. You shouldn't have to stress over your purchase.

Once you get your money back go and place another order or go to a store and buy one. :)

3. jedivulcan thread starter macrumors 6502

Agreed. I think I'm a bit disappointed and wanted to vent somewhere. Thanks.

4. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I think I would have driven there and replaced it in-store. That's an unacceptable defect.

5. palpatine macrumors 68040

I don't understand. You reported a defect and they offered a resolution. Why are you venting? Instead of hanging up I would have asked to speak with a supervisor and have the replacement expedited. What kind of response were you expecting?

Of course, the best thing is to just go to the store. Instead of days and extra charges, it will take hours :)

6. WRP macrumors 6502a

No company has ever had a defect from the factory. And when they do it is unacceptable to offer a swap at a store or for them to send you a replacement offer without even seeing evidence of said defect.

Hey, it's a little black mark. You know the last time I saw the side of my iPad? The first day when I took it out of the package.

7. -TYLER macrumors regular

Resell value.

8. WRP macrumors 6502a

#1 - Don't ever think about the potential of what you will get when you are done using it... that's ridiculous.
    #2 - I never said to not swap it out. The complaining is insane... they'll send out a new ipad while they keep this one and then they can return that when the new ipad comes in. Or they can swap at store. It's really no-brainer and such a minimal thing I don't see why they are getting so upset they need "to vent" on an internet forum.
    #3 - The only valid argument I could see for this is if they didn't have enough money to front for a few days while waiting for the new one. And if that is the argument, my rebuttal is they probably shouldn't have bought it in the first place if they don't have that extra cash laying around either liquid or on a card.
    #4 - In this day in age, nothing, especially electronics will ever be 100% for every unit sold. Get over it.

All that together = complete waste of time and energy getting "upset" over something so trivial.

9. palpatine macrumors 68040

I agree that Apple's suggested resolutions were completely reasonable, but I also think it is reasonable to expect the product to be perfect out of the box. I most certainly do think about resale value. It's the only way I can afford to keep upgrading every year. I keep my stuff in mint condition and sell them in time for the upgrade. I've gone through several cycles of stuff, and over the year, I'd say I only lose around 20% of the value. That is the price of a couple coffees every month. A defect like this is not only unacceptable (Apple would most certainly agree), but has a significant financial impact.

I expect perfection and Apple delivers. That's why I pay top dollar for their products and am happy to play in their ecosystem. We both benefit :)

10. jedivulcan thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't plan sit in a car for an afternoon and sit in an Apple Store over something I barely had in my hand for a minute out of the shipping box. That's expecting a lot from a customer given a means of transportation, work, going to a doctor's appointment, or whatnot. The assumption that someone needs to reserve an entire afternoon from the result of getting a bum product in itself, is crazy.

That, and the nearest Apple Store to me probably has the worst known customer service I've ever experienced with that store. I've sat, even on a weekday, for over an hour from my scheduled Genius Bar appointment. Getting a retail employee to help you with a simple exchange. The atmosphere is uncomfortable and I'm not in wonderful health.

I've had a few great but a lot of uncomfortable situations and there's only a few stores in Georgia and further away.

The problem with the resolution is that there really wasn't much of a resolution. It took three phone calls and speaking to four different people (all with different answers) to grill me over the purchase. They wanted me to co-operate in an investigation with their parcel carrier partners. It got really, really uncomfortably complicated.

The resolution was basically wait at least a week or two weeks or try our store. Even customer support representatives had issues scheduling me a Genius Bar appointment with their flagship Georgia store (I was put on hold for 30 minutes and they said they'd try again later).

I'd expected their attitude to be more of getting the right product in my hand soon as possible ... but it got blown into this huge inquiry and inquisition.

I've bought things from Google Play and Amazon and they'll send you items out without question. They'll say that if it's not returned in 30 days, they'll charge me. They've never made holds on any money (either debit or credit) and have always been 120% co-operative, even giving refunds instantly. Like, the length of trust some companies extend are more than others.

I'd understand seeing the damage if it were an eBay transaction or something from Amazon's marketplace or between individuals. I have no problems with doing that and being transparent with documentation and details. Apple doesn't facilitate sending pictures to them.

I just got it as a gift and I intend to keep it, at least, for school until I graduate next summer. I have sold my other two iPads I had. I mean, I'm not going to lie. Condition is important. I totally agree.

I'm not "upset" ... disappointed. Expectation was: Get product, use product, the end ... not the inevitable calls to AppleCare, trips to the Apple Stores, and me bitching about it on forums.

I really just wanted to share the picture and kind of, somewhere, document the defect and the last three hours of owning the device.

Eventually, Apple finally did an RMA and is having one shipped to me after three phone calls.

11. palpatine macrumors 68040

I see. In your original post, I read it to mean one call, a couple of transfers, and you hanging up after they offered a resolution to the problem.

I agree. You shouldn't have to jump through hoops for all of this. This is a customer service failure on Apple's part. In general, with any company, I'll end a conversation and call back, or ask for a supervisor if the situation seems to be straying from the issue / resolution. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Customer service is tough, and very few companies get it even close to right.

12. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

These defect threads always turn I to flame wars. Always.

13. WRP macrumors 6502a

It's because they are ridiculous and all it takes is one intelligent person (me) to say something and it turns into a gigantic pig pile :D

14. Ipadfever macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

Shouldn't be as stressful as it seems to be with you, you shouldn't have to go thru all the hassle .....ask for a free smart cover for the inconvience lol

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

BS customer service if you ask me. It should be a simple return process but I get that they'd want your credit card just in case you don't return the damaged one.