Physical Google Wallet Card now available

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Lloydbm41, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Well, Google finally released to the public a physical credit card, linked direct to your Google wallet. For those times that Paypass is not available, you can use this. Nice thing about this card is that it works in conjunction with the phone app. Any purchase made auto loads the receipt to your account, just as if you used the phone (supposedly).

I will have mine in about 10 days to see how well everything works. I use my phone to pay for things all the time, so I'm very familiar with Google Wallet.

If you want to find out more, just go to your Google account page, and under the 'more' tab drop down menu is Wallet.

Attached Files:

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

So it's just another Pre-paid card? Does it link to any of your credit cards? I would love just to carry one card, and use my smartphone to toggle which of my CC cards it connects to.

3. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Not the same as a prepaid credit card is my understanding. Right now, I can use my phone to pay for items and I can have that payment come out of my checking account or any credit card linked to my account. I just set the payment method I want to use ahead of time from within the Google Wallet app.
    If this links directly to Google Wallet the same way, then I no longer need my other credit cards. I can go to Best Buy and set the card to use my checking account. Then go to Target and change it to use my Target credit card, so I get the 5% cash back.

I will confirm this after I get it.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Ordered mine too. I hope it has the tap feature. I HATE swiping my cards. :eek: I always do it wrong.

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I also been using Google Wallet. Just ordered myself, thanks.

From the looks of the bold. I'm not sure if means it works the same way as using NFC on our phones, or you need to fund Google account from your linked CC or bank account manually.

6. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

My Google wallet is linked to my Debit card which essentually IS my Google Wallet card. Just dont see any benefit from getting another when the funds are coming from the same place and i have my phone to pay for things as well. But, ill check back and see what all it can do from people in here.

7. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

It may not be beneficial at all. That is what I want to find out. If it isn't beneficial, no biggie. If it makes my life easier, then cool. :D It doesn't cost me anything to give it a try.

8. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Got mine in the mail today. Not really sure if it's benefical to me yet. I ordered the Loop fob on kickstarter and the coin card as well. I guess I will play with them all and see what I like best.

Attached Files:

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Do you know yet if you can link credit cards to it, or do you need to fund the actually Google account?

10. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

That's a good question, I am looking around on the wallet site and I only see my debit card from one of my checking accounts on there. I would like the option to have both of my checking accounts on there and maybe my credit card too and be able to switch on the fly.

11. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Got mine today too. Like that the numbers are on the back!

12. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Yeah I thought that was kind of different. I like it, just don't know if it's functional (for me) yet.

13. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I found it....yes you can add credit/debit cards or add bank accounts. Still don't know how it works. Looks like you can transfer money into your google wallet account. Not sure if you can just use the card and choose where it's funded from.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Waiting on mine but I have about 10 cards linked to my google wallet. Would be really nice to carry one card that I could toggle all the cards to.

Can someone who owns one confirm or deny this

15. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Same boat I am in. I was one of the very first people to order one, I have a verified wallet account with Google and it seems as though I am one of the last to get it. I was hoping it was in the mail today and I could have confirmed if we can use multiple accounts with just the one card. I have 6 accounts linked, including a checking account.

If you get it before me, please post up the result here. I'll do the same. :apple:

16. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Will do. I got the shipping info 2 days ago.

17. appleofmy"i" macrumors regular

appleofmy"i"

Got mine today. Can't wait to confuse the heck out of some waitress with it!

18. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I put $20 on mine just now. You have to preload it from the cards on your account. It doesn't work otherwise, and will decline the purchase and Google will e-mail you telling you it did.

19. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

That sucks, if you put money on it is it available instantly?

I think you just ruined it for me. :eek:

20. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yep.

Sorry. :eek:

I bet it'll get better though.

21. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I bet you're right.

22. Explicitic macrumors 6502

It would have been nice to see Google automatically take funds from your card/bank if your Wallet balance wasn't enough...but whatever, this is probably the best prepaid debit card available currently. It's just missing a few features like depositing checks and direct deposit. With those, it could become a popular option for those who don't like to deal with banks.

23. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

At that point, Google is a bank. I would expect several common bank practices to be used by Google at that point.

I think people want this to be the Coin, and it's not. They work very differently. This is not all that different from every other prepay out there, except you can manage the funds and receipts from your google wallet app.

24. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I think I will use this card more as a saftey measure. If I feel slightly uncomfortable using one of my cards anywhere, I can simply pull out my phone and use the Google wallet app to load funds from one of my cards, and then use the Google card. Don't know of any other debit/prepaid cards that have such an easy and instant way to load. Plus there is no charge or fees (I could be wrong).

25. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

True. Would be good if you were going to a concert or big outdoor event. If you add money can you take it back? For example I load it with $1000 and then lose the card. Could I take the money back?