Physical Keyboard RE: Palm Pre.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mr. Giver '94, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

So what's the point of having a physical keyboard if it's in portrait???? I mean I think everyone on these forums who've seen those threads that show mock-ups of an iPhone w/ a physical keyboard have seen it in landscape. It just makes no sense to me.

Does it even have a touch keyboard? I've seen some of the test videos but haven't seen an on screen keyboard.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

2. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

because you can type in portrait. on screen keyboard can easily be added by software.

3. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Think which other phones have physical portrait keyboards:

All the Blackberries. All the Q and Blackjacks. Many other ones. Holy smokes. They're actually in the majority. (edit: okay, you're right, make that half - grin)

One of my favorite smartphones was the Samsung i730, exactly because it had a slidedown keyboard like the Pre. For the occasional filling out of forms or typing in a URL, it was perfect (for me). I didn't have to flip the phone to landscape, for one thing.

Of course, I could have used a virtual popup keyboard on the touch screen, but that phone had a luxurious feeling smoothly sliding out its hidden one. And I didn't have to put up with an onscreen keyboard covering everything.

I could even do it one-handed.

4. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

typing in landscape is better, but better than no one.
    also the keyboard gives ergonomics to the phone.

5. Mr. Giver '94 thread starter macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

What confuses me is why have a portrait keyboard if you already have a touchscreen? Use the touch screen for portrait typing and the slide out for landscape.

It just seems redundant to have both a portrait touch screen and a portrait slide out keyboard.

BTW... Pantech Duo, Sidekick, Pantech Matrix, G1, HTC Fuze, EnV 2, Voyager, Samsung Alias, Samsung Glyde, Samsung Flipshot, LG Rumor, HTC Touch Pro, and more have landscape keyboards so you can make the arguement from the other side as well.

6. Mr. Giver '94 thread starter macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

So are you saying the Pre doesn't have an on-screen keyboard? I'm sure whether it does or not. Anyone know?

7. pkagel macrumors regular

I had the Samsung 730 and loved the slide out keyboard since I like to type one handed. I would rather that than a landscape keyboard anyday.

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

All this is why I prefer the software keyboard instead of an actual keyboard. I haven't used any of the other smart phones for more than a few minutes, but most of the time I don't need most of the keys available. There are also certain combos that you need, like the .com, .net, etc. available in certain places on the iPhone. The iPhone's keys are plenty big enough for me, but I can understand the desire for using a landscape keyboard at times.

9. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Landscape mode in a mobile phone is relatively new. Palm really hasn't been into new, and this is arguably their most different product in years. Treo phones always had the little portrait keyboard, and Palm is sticking to that. You can probably blame that on RIM's Blackberry.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Does seem that way. Unless you hate the onscreen keyboard covering up what you're typing in (example: posts on forums can be difficult on the iPhone).

Also, a physical portrait keyboard is easy to use one-handed, without looking, which is probably why RIM uses them.

I think it's just another example of why there are so many different kinds of phones. No single type fits all personalities or uses. If you want to hit the most market, a company needs to have multiple models.

Yes, yes, I give in :)

One other neat thing about the 730... you can have it upright in a cradle, and still slide the body up to use the keyboard for a moment. Loved that phone. 528 MHz, stereo speakers, silky smooth touchscreen, lots of hot keys to make life easy.

11. KarmaRocket macrumors member

KarmaRocket

From the videos I have seen the Palm Pre does not have an onscreen touch keyboard.

My thoughts are that they should add a touch keyboard feature in the future. As well as maybe offer a landscape keyboard version.

onscreen touch keyboard is useful if you want to do things with one hand. not sure how fast it is to open up the portrait keyboard but you would think using the touch screen would be faster and more intuitive.

12. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

the thing that i like about the about palm is the screen space that is not wasted by the keyboard.
    Really, the internet evolves by people sharing information all day. Texting, blogging, replying is common and permissive in any place. But typing some text with contents in iphone or replying is dead slow, untuitive and lacks text tools like copy paste.
    Palms let you select text by gestures, and typing with a physical keyborad.

13. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

That's not true for everyone. I went to my parents for 2 weeks and forgot my Macbook charger so during those 2 weeks I used the iPhone exclusively for posting on Macrumors and I didn't find it slow or unintuitive at all. The only thing I missed was the ability to post pictures on the forums from my iPhone, everything else was great.

And I don't understand how screen space is wasted by the on screen keyboard since the keyboard is only there when I need to write something.

14. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

when you are in landscape mode, you only can see 2 or 3 lines maximum
    when you are in portait mode, you have more lines, but the keyboard is inferior due the tight space between keys.

so my point is that iphone keyboard is good when the phone is in landscape, but you only can see 2-3 lines.
    even with that in mind, the physical keyboard allows you to delete a write in real time, what is beautifull.

15. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

But when I'm typing I only need to see what I'm writing, so 2 or 3 lines is enough.

16. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

For me is not enough.
    Also, i may have to erase it from all begining, review it, and my toes only fit in the landscape mode keyboard.
    pardon me if i'm casmurro but this device is a winner.

17. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Yes, in any place, not just where people use only the alphabet letters to type.

A physical keyboard might make more sense if most, if not all, people in the world used the same set of alphabet letters for writing. That's not the case. The flexibility that comes with virtual keyboard is far more desirable than the physical keyboard in today's world since it can be designed for different character sets and key layouts.

18. hazmatzak macrumors regular

I have a G1. There are plenty of times I'm using the screen in portrait, and I'd like to type a few things, but I have to open the keyboard and switch to landscape.

There are lots of details that can make or break a physical keyboard -- simply having one is not automatically better even for people that prefer them. The keys on the G1 are too flush. Or at least they are on mine. So is that a design issue or a build issue? They are also not even, which is definitely a build issue. Virtual keyboards don't have build issues.

I read about someone trying the keyboard on the Pre, and the top row of keys was too close to the (slid-up) bottom of screen. He had to angle his fingers. The Palm rep said they might be able to tweak that before ship.

19. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

i use english portuguese and spanish virtual keyboards on the iphone. i don't see why is desirable than a physical.
    Each language have their own set of symbols and their own cellphone keyboard.

Even japanese in iphone looks somewhat complex but i can be wrong. To set a kanji from a couple of hiragana's you have to write the hiraganas, then tap on the correct kanji, wich is worse than actually typing it from a qwerty keyboard and select the right word by pressing a space or arrow key (the focus on the word is perceived faster).

Virtual keyboards have the feature that reduces costs to the company who is manufactoring the product (dahh) since they are mutable..

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Most manufacturers create versions with different keyboards. Not a big deal. Apple's way just costs less.

It's like cars with the power window controls on the console instead of on the door. Makes it cheaper to sell around the world.

You can't get any more flush than with a virtual one :) Sorry, couldn't pass it up.

Speaking of which, the iPhone keyboard has the back key next to the Action key. Hate it. Quite often accidentally click the action while trying to backspace.