Physical Keyboards

Discussion in 'iPad' started by slenpree, Nov 19, 2016.

1. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

Since Logitech have created a keyboard with the smart connector and a charger with a smart connector, I'm surprised we haven't seen a device with both together. Would anyone else like to see a keyboard which you charge up by lightning and once connected to the iPad with the smart connector is able to charge the battery ? The battery in keyboard could be heavy enough to counter balance the iPad like a laptop and then supply days of power ....

2. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

I have thought about that possibility as well. What I'd love to see is for Apple to build a device that looks like a 13" MacBook Pro (in terms of size) but has a removable screen that serves as an iPad with a smaller battery, but then when you dock it to the keyboard it doubles or triples the battery capacity. I think a device around that size could be similar in power to the iPad Pro 12.9 and could have 25-30 hours of battery life. I'd be willing to pay $1500 for such a device, although I'm not sure that others would.

3. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I guess the main issue is weight. The iPad doesn't strike me as a device that needs a portable power bank, unless you are consistently out in the field for days on end without an outlet to charge your tablet with.

To me, the iPad represents the perfect compromise of portability, ease of use and battery life. Tacking on a heavy external keyboard seems to defeat the whole point for me.

4. slenpree thread starter macrumors 6502a

slenpree

Well it would be detachable so would only notice the weight in your backpack.