Physical Mac Address

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IMACD, Sep 28, 2009.

1. IMACD macrumors newbie

Not being a professional mac user I was asked to provide my physical mac address by the IT person at my work to enable me to get wifi. I can't seem to be able to do this on my G4 15" powerbook. I'm also not sure if I need to as I get full signal from the wifi in the place and I should only need the password? He says this is the only way he can give me the password..is he a bit behind the mac times!? I remember a 'run' command on the early iMacs.

This is what I was given;

'On the laptop press start, go to RUN, type in CMD, then type in IPCONFIG /all (there is a space between ipconfig and the / ) He should then see his physical address.'

Can anyone enlighten me please?

imacd.

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

He might need the MAC address after all.

To find it, click on the apple on the top left, then press <option> and click on "System Profiler". Find "Network" on the left. There should be your MAC address.

3. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

He probably uses MAC address filtering, so saying "I get full signal from the wifi in the place and I should only need the password?" is not true.

He needs your MAC address to enter into his router's table of "allowed devices". Make sure you give him your WiFi ("AirPort") MAC address, and not your wired Ethernet MAC address.

4. IMACD thread starter macrumors newbie

Physical mac address

Hi There, I tried these things but It still will not work?

imacd

5. IMACD thread starter macrumors newbie

physical mac address

Hi,

Thanks Mooblie and the demi-goddess, I found it, different commands on this machine! Many thanks.
    imacd

6. 7even macrumors 6502a

I see you already found what you were looking for; I just wanted to note that the above instructions apply strictly to Windows machines.