Physical Media Love Fest

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MacNewsFix, Aug 12, 2011.

1. MacNewsFix macrumors 6502a

MacNewsFix

We are starting this thread in the interest of providing a safe haven for people that are fanatical about all things physical media. The forum dubbed Steve Jobs Suggests Blu-ray Not Coming to Mac Anytime Soon attracts people across the spectrum, from people that love physical media, those that feel physical media has seen its day, to those somewhere in the middle. This thread is meant to serve those optimistic about the future of DVD and Blu-Ray.

Some in the above referenced thread, in particular some who make their living in large part utilizing physical media, feel that those who gravitate to alternative means of entertainment (be it streaming delivery or VOD) are on a personal crusade to undermine their business model. In the interest of peace, we are providing a place in which those who subscribe to physical media can have their own fortress of solitude and correspond with like-minded individuals without want of persecution. Please be respectful. Should your proclivities deviate from the spirit of this thread, please feel free to post your opinion in the aforementioned thread, just not in this one. In essence, don't troll. Thank you.

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Good luck. Seriously.

3. cgbier macrumors 6502a

It is not about love... my clients want them.

4. MacNewsFix thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacNewsFix

Quixotic? Maybe.

However, if it adds even a little sanity to the other thread, it will be worth it.

Great! :)

5. King Flamez1 macrumors regular

King Flamez1

I only buy physical storage devices. never physical media. sorry lol

6. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

I want to backup all of my data onto Blu-rays in case of catastrophic EMP. I think doing this yearly should be sufficient.

7. cgbier macrumors 6502a

This is a physical media love fest, not a semantics love fest ;)

8. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I had a faze like that. Now I have an entire shelf full of dual layer DVD's with useless files as "back up". Oh well.:D:D:D:D:D

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

If someone developed physical media that could store more it would be more useful for archiving, but the largest we have is blu ray and that doesn't hold much. At least not for the files I generate.

10. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Same here. Also, not everyone will be in the "it's 2011 camp". I hear from parents and my friends who have kids, loosing a $1.00 DVD is cheaper than replacing a hard drive, usb drive and so on. I can pour water on a disc and shake it then wipe it off and play it all in the same minute. Not sure what other physical medium/media can handle that and cost so little :cool:

Most people not around a major city have cool up to date gear. I've meet far more folks that just got a DVD player or kids that are getting into backing up onto disc because they know they will have an oops with their other media and will be sol without an extra step.

I'm all for advancement but it's still very necessary the way it is for now and I'm happy with that, for now.

11. Sylonien macrumors regular

Sylonien

What's wrong with media?

I mean if I wanna share stuff with friends or family that are around 10-20Gb+ or whatever. What are the "reasonable" alternatives? Buy a external hard drive just to share? Couple of usb sticks? Upload? (seriously? not with my 512k upload speed.)

Or couple of cheap DVDs or single blu-ray?

12. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

My plan* is to one day have a BR external drive* and archive projects shot on my Sony NX5P* and edited on my i7 iMac* onto to dual layer BR discs.

No crashes, permanent storage, pass on the cost of the media.

(* denotes 2012/2013 FY budget.)

I'll almost never deliver on BR because we don't have BR players at work and don't expect to in the near or far future.