"Physical memory" problem with Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by stuck4aname, Jun 20, 2008.

1. stuck4aname macrumors newbie

I installed Windows ages ago and it worked fine for quite a while. Then I kept getting pop-ups saying I had spyware, so I ran some virus scanners and they caught the problem. Then I disconnected from the internet on the Windows partition as I realised I didn't really need it.

Anyway, after that, which was a couple of days before this problem started, I could load the Windows partition perfectly. I didn't get any more pop-ups, everything was as it was when I first started. Then one day, I tried to load up Windows, but it asked me to log-in with my username and password. I thought this was strange because it has never asked me to do this before - I didn't even enter a password when I was installing it. So I left the password field blank, and clicked "OK". It seemed to log me on with no problem, but then a blue screen with white text on came up and the computer restarted in Mac (default) mode.

The blue screen was only there for a split second so I couldn't read what it said on it. I think I caught something about "physical memory", but I can't be entirely sure. I tried restarting Windows in safe mode but it did the same thing. Now I don't know what to do, so please could you help me? I'm really not very tech-savvy, so please try to 'dumb-down' any instructions, so to speak! Thanks in advance.

Also, my memory stick stopped working with the Mac partition a day or so after Windows stopped working. All the files got deleted from it, and there are all these strange files with names that seem to be in some sort of code. Is this a separate problem, or are they related in any way?

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

If it were me id just re-install windblows,just use bootcamp to delete the partition & re-install it again ( if you need that is )

3. stuck4aname thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, I had no idea it would be as simple as re-installing! It's worked, I just hope it doesn't go haywire on me again.

Thanks! :D

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

That's Ok, but just re-read your original post did you get your thumb drive sorted??

5. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

I suggest you put some anti-virus software on your computer. Usually these problems are user related (visiting sketchy websites).

One thing that you should do if you're using XP is go into "run" and type services.msc. Find the service called "Messenger" and disable it if it already isn't (be sure to stop it). I believe it is enabled by default in XP SP2 (I know it is without any SPs installed). You don't need it enabled and you won't suffer any adverse side effects. Often times "people" will send you spam via messenger.

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Good point although i once got redirected to one of these free scan sites,you have x amount of viruses and auto download started ( and not through looking at prOn ) got loads of flashing popups,everything froze & the only thing i could do was a re-install.These sorts of sites should be regulated as there was nothing i could do to stop this download as soon as i was directed to the site BAM the download started

7. MDS0LDI3R macrumors newbie

I believe this is unrelated from your Windows not booting up but I think this happened to me twice when a Windows 98 computer would lock up sometimes when first reading my Memory Stick Pro Duo last year but would recover the files and was getting files that were not what I named them and had no extension. If you still have the strange files and there with no extension try adding what ever extensions the files previous had(This will require some trail and error), hope this is the problem your having so you can get your data back.

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Your right it's probably just a coincidence, adding file extensions does sound a logical answer and your right about trial & error as i've had to do it ( with around 200 files ) it's time comsuming & a pain in the ass

Welcome to MR's by the way

9. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

I just checked my XP Pro SP2 and it's disabled by default.

10. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

Don't you just love Windows :p

11. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

yer about as much as a hole in the head :(