physical partition/HD cloner for osx

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Anarchy99, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

i want some software to clone sector by sector a whole hardrive or a partition
    most if found like superduper or CCC only see to do logical partitions
    anyone know of anything?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Mac OS X does have this ability - Disk Utility can do it via disk images. So can the dd command in the Terminal. I have yet to find a GUI program for this purpose, though.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

I believe the most recent release of CarbonCopyCloner can now do some kind of "block-level" copy, that can "dupe" partitions, as well.

This enables it to clone a Lion drive, complete with the recovery partition....

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

As said, the latest version of CCC will try to do a block-level copy if the conditions are right to make it possible, and Disk Utility can as well with the right settings.

If you're trying to clone an NTFS volume, there's an app called WinClone that can create low-level images of NTFS drives and clone them to new hardware via the MacOS. It hasn't been updated in a while, but it worked fine for me when I needed to clone a Windows drive a couple weeks ago from a Lion machine, and I've used it in the past to make or modify Windows boot clones.

There's also a new open source project called CloneZilla that claims to do this sort of thing, but I have no experience with it--you might give it a try.