Physical Stability of iMacs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by VideoBeagle, May 1, 2013.

1. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

How stable are the new iMacs....looking at them, they seem awfully top heavy with a very small base...from pictures, i'd fear bumping into the desk and they'd just fall over.

How secure are they free standing?

2. VideoBeagle, May 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2013

VideoBeagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

The 27" imac which weighs 21 pounds and is supported on a piece of curved metal that's maybe a quarter of a size? Before I spend $2000, I'd like to know how people who already have one feel it stands up?

If a cat hops on the desk and knocks into it, is it secure? Do people feel it needs to be clamped down?

If rambunctious kids knock into the desk, will it tip over?

These are VERY legitimate questions, that user experience is the best answer for.

3. wessew macrumors member

We have one in my office. It is extremely stable. We have never had an issue with that. Moreover, I just tested it. You would have to push it very hard to get it to tip. The base is wide and the screen tilts. So it will not rock side to side and if you push the top of the unit the only thing that happens is that the screen tilts. So, no issue here. Finally, I've got two teenagers and they have not come close to tipping it.

4. VideoBeagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply...my computer desk is near the door to my apartment...it doesn't really get bumped, but can get jostled easily so I was concerned. I envisiond a complicated game of mousetrap where I close the door and various things start falling ending with my computer falling off the desk. :D

5. LikexTides macrumors newbie

Hey there! I figured I would give my opinion as well! I just got my 27" iMac in the mail yesterday. I have it on a simple $50 desk from Ikea. This baby isn't going anywhere. I had the same thoughts as you! But if your desk is close to the door, I would take some precautions because I don't think anyone would want to see their brand new baby fall on the floor. I would perhaps move the desk (unless you can't). But all in all I think you would be more than okay.

6. Arfdog macrumors 6502

Well what matters is where the CG is in relation to the footprint and the height.

The conversation probably went like this:
    Jony Ive: I want a foot to hold up the new iMac
    Engineer: don't make it too tall
    Jony Ive: what height should it be?
    Engineer: need to know what the max angle is deemed reasonable
    Jony Ive: that's your job
    Engineer: well you're supposed to know the usage better, you're designing the damn thing
    Engineer: ok our design rule says it should be stable up to 20 degrees. So the CG can only be 274 mm high with a foot 200 mm wide.
    Jony Ive: I knew that.

7. passey macrumors member

Lets put it this way on my 21" 2012 imac dont add an ipad holder to the side as it topples over when my ipad 4 goes there.

its too lite. lol