Physically Moving HDD from Mini to MacPro?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bzollinger, Aug 23, 2010.

1. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Hello,

If I pull the HDD out of my mini, and install it into my new MacPro as the boot drive will the system accept it and go along willingly? Or will it freak the new MP out?

They are both running the latest version of OSX.

If it won't work what's the best way to get my system and all my apps installed on that HDD in the MP, that is currently in the mini?

I hope this isn't too confusing, thanks in advance.

BZ

2. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Migration Assistant. (There's no need to move the "system", just the Apps, Preferences, personal data, etc.)

3. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

The migration assistant works great, and that's what I used after installing OSX fresh on the 500GB momentus XT drive. Now I want to take that same physical HDD and install it in the new MP.

Make sense? I only have one momentus XT, right now it's in the mini, and I want it to be the boot drive on the MP.

4. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Ah, I get you now.

May be worth asking this in the Mac Pro forum, as I'm not sure how the bays in the Mac Pro will accept a 2.5in drive. Sorry I can't help further.

5. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

No problem, thanks for the help.

I actually already have a drive sled that will accomodate the 2.5" drive, so the fit isn't the problem. I'm just wondering what OSX will do when it realizes that it has been upgraded from a mini to a MacPro!!:):eek: