Physically saving to Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by shneady, Mar 18, 2009.

1. shneady macrumors member

I have a numbers document that I want to save directly to my Time Capsule physically... How do I do this? Is Time Machine the only way? I have my ext HDD hooked up to the TC and I can access that and save it there no problem. Why can't I just save it directly to the time capsule? Thank you, just more curious than anything...

-S

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

3. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

You should be able to see the TC in a Finder window and connect to it, then open the first directory and you can drag or copy/paste files into it. Just tried it and it works fine.

4. shneady thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your help, I got it working now.

Now on the whole time machine issue, when I went to set that up it started backing everything up on my macbook. It's a brand new white macbook with nothing saved to it. It has 111gb storage space and brand new out of the box it only has 91gb available. Long story short, the used up 20gb that's in the macbook started saving to my capsule, so I stopped the download... Why would it do that? I don't care about that stuff, isn't that what the back up dvd is for? I just want it to save new files from now on and not the 20gb of information that came preinstalled on my macbook. And my iMac is another 18.5gb of preinstalled information... That's 40gb of stuff I don't want on my tc... Or am I wrong should I still back all that up? Any and all help on this is greatly appreciated. Thank you

-S

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Time Machine has to take an initial snapshot of the system to know what its base original state was. Principally, Time Machine works on a chronological basis, so it has to keep track of what changes have been made since the last time you backed up. If you really want to, after the first initial backup you can click on Options in your Time Machine preferences to tell it what you don't want it to backup, for example the System folder or Applications. IMO with a Time Capsule and either 500 GB/1 TB of storage there's not really much benefit to excluding data unless you're really strapped for space.