pia_tray application is cancelling restart

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Kanunu, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Kanunu macrumors 6502

When I restart I get a message box that says "the application pia_tray cancelled restart." There is some more about quitting the app and there is an OK button. I don't even know what the app is so I certainly don't know how to quit it, but if I press the OK the restart continues.

I tried to search for this but the search function did not recognize the underline character. :(

Is this indicative of a problem or can I ignore it?

2. Bear macrumors G3

After a quick web search, it's apparently VPN-Private Internet Access. If you didn't install it, I recommend that you get it off your Mac and check for other software you didn't install.

3. Kanunu thread starter macrumors 6502

Makes sense. Yes I did install it but I only use it on occasion. I am in Vietnam and some things like movies streams seem to work a lot better. I don't know why that should be but it is. I reset the preferences so that it will not automatically load on startup. That should do it.

I mostly got it to fool the App Store in OS and in iTunes that I am in the US so that I can update my apps properly. I only tried it once but it did not work as I had hoped. I intend to try again later when I can put more time in the effort. I may need to clear all cookies too. Apple's separation into country stores is a pain for expatriates. I can't buy anything from the Vietnam store unless I get a Vietnamese credit card which I have no intention of doing and my purchased apps from the US will not update. There are long and angry threads on the subject on Apple's own help forums.

Thanks