Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamTheeGeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
United Kingdom
Hey Guys ,

Yesterday i saw Apples Keynote and i was so interested when they started playing the key station piano on the Mac Garage Band '11.

I used to play piano but due to work and my studies i kinda forgot all the basics , so now apple showed me the right path to get back to my beloved hobby :).

So now my question which keystation should i go for ?

I Saw this on the apple store and it looks familiar as the one used on apples " Back To Mac " Keynote

M-Audio Keystation 61es Semi Weighted Keyboard

What do you guys think ? are there better options and what else do i need to hook it up on my mac :)

Thank you

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
I have one too. It feels a little cheap but from my experiences (pounding on it and dropping it) it is very durable. Not sure if it would work with '11 but i don't see why not. I would recommend it.

I agree with talmy, it feels like an organ.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
I have the 88-note version (Keystation 88es). Better feel for piano than an unweighted keyboard, but not as good as the Keystation Pro 88 (which has a hammer-type action and is about twice as expensive).

SamTheeGeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
United Kingdom
Im checking out M Audio's website hopefully i find the perfect thing for me :)

Update :

i think the M-Audio Keystation 61es Semi Weighted Keyboard is pretty good, now my question will it fully support garage band '11 learn to play ?

Kyffin

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
When I was looking into this last year the Yamaha P85 looked the best keyboard around the £500 mark- full sized and hammer weighted keys that replicated the resistance differential at either end with good sound to boot.

Unfortunately had to abandon the project then but am very interested to know whats available at the moment?

vca

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
Get the Keystation Pro.

It's hammer action is great.

They go for $200 - $300(used-like new) on EBay.

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
i think the M-Audio Keystation 61es Semi Weighted Keyboard is pretty good, now my question will it fully support garage band '11 learn to play ?

I have the Keystation 61es, I don't think you'll find a better product for that kind of price. Also, it's pretty much plug and play, it should work with Garageband right out the box without any installation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.