Piano For Mac ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SamTheeGeek, Oct 22, 2010.

1. SamTheeGeek macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

Hey Guys ,

Yesterday i saw Apples Keynote and i was so interested when they started playing the key station piano on the Mac Garage Band '11.

I used to play piano but due to work and my studies i kinda forgot all the basics , so now apple showed me the right path to get back to my beloved hobby :).

So now my question which keystation should i go for ?

I Saw this on the apple store and it looks familiar as the one used on apples " Back To Mac " Keynote

M-Audio Keystation 61es Semi Weighted Keyboard

What do you guys think ? are there better options and what else do i need to hook it up on my mac :)

Thank you

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I've got one and it doesn't have the piano feel at all. Good for organ though.

3. SamTheeGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

well i wouldn't mind if it feels like an organ too, but as quality wise is it well built ? and works properly with garage band '11 ?

thank you

4. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

I have one too. It feels a little cheap but from my experiences (pounding on it and dropping it) it is very durable. Not sure if it would work with '11 but i don't see why not. I would recommend it.

I agree with talmy, it feels like an organ.

5. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

I have the 88-note version (Keystation 88es). Better feel for piano than an unweighted keyboard, but not as good as the Keystation Pro 88 (which has a hammer-type action and is about twice as expensive).

6. SamTheeGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

Im checking out M Audio's website hopefully i find the perfect thing for me :)

Update :

i think the M-Audio Keystation 61es Semi Weighted Keyboard is pretty good, now my question will it fully support garage band '11 learn to play ?

7. Kyffin macrumors 6502

When I was looking into this last year the Yamaha P85 looked the best keyboard around the £500 mark- full sized and hammer weighted keys that replicated the resistance differential at either end with good sound to boot.

Unfortunately had to abandon the project then but am very interested to know whats available at the moment?

8. vca macrumors newbie

Get the Keystation Pro.

It's hammer action is great.

They go for $200 - $300(used-like new) on EBay.

9. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I have the Keystation 61es, I don't think you'll find a better product for that kind of price. Also, it's pretty much plug and play, it should work with Garageband right out the box without any installation.

10. SamTheeGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

Cool thank you :)