Pic Message Problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by irnbrukid, Feb 9, 2012.

1. irnbrukid, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012

irnbrukid macrumors newbie

Hi All, Is it possible to for a person to send a pic message to 2 people at the same time and the other person to get their contact details from it??

Person A sends person B & C a pic message (bday party picture) Person C replys but same message is sent to both person A (original sender) and B other recipient.. even though person C does not have person B's phone number??

2. normanbates macrumors regular

I don't think they can have each other's contacts however if all three devices (your and the two recipients) are iOS devices with iMessage then if one person replies to said first message then everyone gets the reply. It's called group messaging, but if one or none of them are iOS with iMessage then it only shows up on the recipient's handset as from the original sender and when they reply it will be sent to the original sender only

3. irnbrukid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for reply, the sender of picture mess uses iPhone 4 but doesnt have imessage turned on, I use iPhone4s with imessage on.. dont know about other person. It just seemed strange that their reply to sender of picture message was sent to me as well, didnt think this was possible?? When they dont have my number

4. normanbates macrumors regular

What colour is your outgoing message when it's sent to all recipients?

If its blue then all 3 devices are using iMessage and if someone replies through the thread you will all get it. If one of you isn't using iMessage then it should send as a normal message and only the people with each others numbers can reply

5. irnbrukid thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, it was a picture message sent to me and someone else, the person who sent it is using an iPhone 4 but doesnt have imessage activated (because when i text them it doesnt show up as an imessage, whereas other people who have it activated show up as sending them an imessage).

I dont know the type of phone the other person uses, but their text reply was sent to me and the sender of the picture. I didnt think this was possible since they dont or shouldnt have my number..?

I was told elsewhere it could have been like cc in email where you see all the senders, but ive never seen anything like that when recieving a picture message.

6. normanbates macrumors regular

I'm wondering if the original sender sent it as an email and your iMessage picked it up maybe, that way if the other person has replied to the email as 'reply all' then you have received the email as an iMessage.

Didn't think this could happen though but it's a possibility. Unless your friend has unwittingly set iMessage to on.

Can you see the 3rd party contact details too?

Either that or your friend has passed on your details to the 3rd person?

Can you upload a screenshot of the original picture message and reply?

7. irnbrukid thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi its was just a pic from a birthday party, pic was taken then selected from camera roll and send to person B & C was selected.
    No i didnt recieve the other persons contact details with the pic mess, thats how im wondering how they got mine.
    It was suggested by someone else that it could be like an email cc, and they person C selected reply to all, but then why didnt i have that option.. its strange but is causing trouble.

8. normanbates macrumors regular

It was me that suggested it in the post above :p

If person C has received it as an email then they will have that option but if you have received it as an iMessage that doesn't have the option

9. irnbrukid thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah but i had asked elsewhere also and they suggested the cc scenario.. no it was definetly sent as pic mess by text and not email. So if it was sent to both us the same way, then id have expected to get their number if thats how they got mine.. but didnt. Unless if they have a different type of phone and thats how it happened but doesnt make sense

10. normanbates macrumors regular

It shouldn't happen like that. Multiple recipients have been around on messaging for years (since they went digital I think) and this has never occurred. All I can think is that either your friend and the 3rd person do in fact have iMessage (I know you said he hasn't activated it but maybe he has since you saw his phone). When you type the contact's name in it will either stay green or turn blue after a little while. If it turns blue then everyone that message is going to has iMessage

11. irnbrukid thread starter macrumors newbie

No its actually a she, her phone has the latest ios on it, but she doesnt use or have imessage activated.. so i presume this other person has took my number from her phone without her consent?? It seems the only way to explain it, but i think she's in denial doesnt want to believe it.

12. normanbates macrumors regular

Maybe that's what it is then. I message people with and without iMessage in groups and never come across this.

I am always mindful with group messaging people that have iOS that don't know each other if that makes sense

13. irnbrukid thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it seems the only answer as iv'e never seen it or know of it happen and she defintely doesn't use imessage. I was just trying to find the answer for her, its not my problem but think she doesn't want to believe this person has been through her phone! :rolleyes:

Thnaks for the input :)