Picasa for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ericthered, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Zuplar macrumors regular

Zuplar

2. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

haha, great article and a sneaky way of finding out the truth. I hope it's true. I just switched from windows and all that I'm missing is Picasa. Hopefully it won't arrive too late.

3. DCBass macrumors 6502

I can't believe this news isn't getting more play on this site. With iLife '08, I finally decided to go iPhoto all the way, and let it organize my photos, etc.

I am pretty happy with this solution I suppose, but I know that others on this site would be much happier with Picasa on the Mac.

4. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

I agree. This is huge! Picasa rocks! I cannot wait for it be released on OS X.
    http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/01/1...rsion-of-picasa-due-to-be-released-this-year/

I've been running it under Crossover Mac, but it is a little buggy.

5. phytonix macrumors 6502

Refuse to use Picasa because they refuse to release Mac version for so long. They should learn their lesson.

6. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

Yes, let's teach a lesson to those people who develop software and give it away for free! Let's not use it. That'll teach them to develop things for OS X faster.

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Great news. I enjoyed tweaking photos with it on XP.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I used to like Picasa when I was on Windows. iPhoto 05 was almost as good but now that I have iPhoto 08 I find it much better.

9. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

I've never used Picasa, so I am curious, what is the advantage of it compared to iPhoto? (BTW, I use iPhoto's feature of not copying the originals to its library, so I use my own folder based hierarchy.)

10. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

Picasa excels at finding and organizing an existing folder of photos. (In my opinion).

Picasa non-destructively edits photos, meaning that it only keeps the original photo on your drive, and all edits are saved in a separate tiny file.

11. TheStu macrumors 65816

Again though, how does that really differ from iPhoto?

I have iPhoto 08 on my MacBook and the latest version of Picasa on my desktop. Frankly, with the exception of Event view, they are quite similar in my opinion. And, iPhoto also non-destructively edits photos, the originals are kept in the Originals folder within the iPhoto Library.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

considering their CEO is on the board of Apple you'd think they'd be a bit more level with releasing things. its not like it just came out either, its been around for awhile, and yet... nothing. which is why its disappointing.

i'll try it, but i have time invested in iPhoto, so i'll probably stick to it.

13. convert09 macrumors member

convert09

>>Again though, how does that really differ from iPhoto?<<

iPhoto will NOT let you rearrange photos easily. I have 09 and the only way to do it is to be in Photos mode. However, I have over 28,000 photos and cannot be searching through all that. Even when I tried to move photos around when I go back to the Events mode those changes are not made. I'm new to mac but I pretty sure I'm doing everything correctly.