Picasa for OS X at MacWorld Rumor?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by timswim78, Jan 1, 2009.

1. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Google/?p=1215

" An official post on the Official Google Mac Blog has confirmed that they will have a booth set up where they will be making “larger presentations” and demoing software:"

This could be huge! Right now, running Picasa is one of the few things that I use an XP VM to do.

2. mayanka89 macrumors regular

mayanka89

I would love it as well. I just have not been able to get into the iPhoto '08 mindset. I organize my photos manually into a tree-structure with folders.

Events just won't cut it, as I would need events within events to organize like I can with folders.

3. fpbecker macrumors member

Picasa for OS X would be great. Chrome for OS X even greater.

4. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Wishful thinking. But unlikely for the following reasons:

1) Google don't tend to wait for a seminar to announce new products/services

2) If they wanted to release Picasa for Mac then they could've done it ages ago. After all, Picasa for Linux has been around since May 2006 - normally considered a less important platform than Mac OS. And it's not as if Google is just ignoring the Mac market - it has a specific focus on Macs, having released the "Picasa Web Albums Exporter" iPhoto plugin and the "Picasa Web Albums Uploader" application for Mac.

3) I reckon that Google and Apple have a pretty close working relationship and intentionally avoid competing with each other. The main photo management software for the Mac is iPhoto, the cornerstone of the iLife suite. It would be very unhelpful if Google competed with them in this market. I believe this is why Google have released Picasa Web Album software for Mac but not the Picasa application itself. For evidence of the close working relationship just look at the fact that the Google CEO (Eric Schmidt) is also a director of Apple - and look how Google and Apple have worked so closely on the iPhone. I could even see a merger of these two organisations at some point in the future (it has been discussed before).

Clearly this isn't decisive evidence but there is more evidence against a release of Picasa for Mac than for it!

5. cookiebunny macrumors newbie

You can make nested folders in iPhoto.

File > New Folder

Or, for that matter, in the Finder.

I'd prefer Chrome. Lousy UI, but having seperate processes per tab would rock.

6. timswim78 thread starter macrumors 6502a

timswim78

1. - They did this time.
    2. - Not really. The Linux Picasa is not a native Linux application. Instead, Google packaged Picasa with some WINE stuff to make it run on Linux.
    3. - I see your point, but at the same time Google is in the game to make money for Google. They didn't get rid of Gmail, Picasa Web Albums, Google Pages, etc. even though Apple has similar products.

7. BobZune macrumors 6502a

8. borjasanz macrumors newbie

It has already been released.

Next stop, Google Chrome!!!

9. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

Does this mean I can lose my iPhoto?

Bill....:apple: