picasa, google earth, and google desktop all force background daemons. any way out?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by damnyooneek, Feb 2, 2009.

1. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

Installing google earth 5.0 beta and got this. how is it any safer than having periodic update checks? looks like no way to not have something running in the computer's background bad move on google's part.

2. roger6106 macrumors regular

I wish I had seen this before I downloaded the new Google Earth. I overwrote the old version, and now I can't get if back. :(

I refuse to install programs that always run and can't be removed.

3. nout72 macrumors regular

nout72

I would install the software (Picasa and Google Earth) and after the install remove Google Updater manually...it does take some time and effort though.

(Google Updater is a CPU hog, removing it is essential)

4. roger6106 macrumors regular

I've read that even if you remove it, it comes back every time you open the application. I guess I'm going to have to start telling people to avoid software from Google.

5. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

I agree this is a terrible thing..

The only real reason i can think for them doing this is to turn it into a google updater for mac and push updates you dont want or need / suggest / update software you dont use or care about..

Shame on you google.....once again

6. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

I did the same... managed to get it back as 5 is still in beta.. there is a link from the main DL site... i just hope the old version didnt have it hiding in the installer too!!

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Could someone please instruct on removing this spyware.

Will AppDelete or AppZapper get it if I delete Picasa?

8. roger6106 macrumors regular

According to Ars Technica it will be reinstalled every time you run the program. At least Google Earth warns the user before installing it, although the program is unusable if you don't install it.

9. nout72 macrumors regular

nout72

Well Ars technica may be wrong???

I deleted the following Google crap only ONCE:

Google Updater Helper
    Library/LaunchDaemons/com.google.GoogleML.plist.
    Library/LaunchDaemons/com.google.keystone.daemon.plist
    Library/LaunchAgents/com.google.keystone.agent.plist

It never returned and I am using the latest Picasa beta...

For anyone interested what hidden processes you may need to delete, the following terminal script comes in handy:
    http://www.khiltd.com/Downloads/ConsultantsCanary.tar.gz

10. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

going to dump google earth! What the f*** are they thinking? "You must allow Google Earth to run in the background of your computer"!!!!!! Oh sure, then they can monitor your internet activity, steal your passwords, hack your bank account. I'm going to hunt for info on how to get rid of the damn thing.

12. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

updates are pushed to your computer with google updater. i dont really see what the big deal is here...granted i dont have google earth, but i do have picasa. i have been notified twice about new versions of picasa since i installed it. there have been no "suggestions", as you put it, for other google software. its not like apples software update for winodws that will suggest you install safari. it has never suggested that i install anything.

13. Middling macrumors regular

The system files/directories you need to delete are:

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.google.GoogleML.plist
    /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.google.keystone.daemon.plist
    /Library/LaunchAgents/com.google.keystone.agent.plist
    /Library/Google

and the User files/directories are:

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.google.keystone.agent.plist
    ~/Library/Google

Every time you run one of the updater infected apps (only tested with GEarth 5) it will reinstall the User files. I don't know whether running the app as an Admin will reinstall the system level crap as i'm not dumb enough to generally run as Admin.

I'll stick with version 4 and not use any other Google software until they stop this foolishness.

14. Analog Kid macrumors 68040

Analog Kid

Ah, here's the thread I was looking for. Wish I'd seen this before I pulled down GE5. I'm livid about this.

An update engine that runs automatically in the background, accepts tickets from any application, and has the power to download from a remote server and install root-owned applications. That's the big deal.

Really bad move, Google. Little Snitch has just become much more valuable.