Picasa will not boot up.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by convert09, Jul 2, 2009.

1. convert09 macrumors member

convert09

Had the Macbook since April 09. Decided to try iPhoto even though I'm very used to Picasa. Loaded up Picasa side by side with iPhoto. Both programs worked with no problems, however, I have found iPhoto to be seriously lacking and want to get rid of it.

I have over 28,000 photos and all but the most current are on an external 1tb hd formatted fat32. All info backed up.

Using AppCleaner I deleted iPhoto. Then attempted to use Picasa but get a spinning wheel and splash screen for about one minute then Picasa starts in a small window and within 30 seconds Picasa shuts down.

I tried:
    *Reinstalling Picasa
    *reinstalling iPhoto
    *reformatting external hd to mac journaled
    *reinstalled Picasa

Nothing seems to work. Anybody have any idea???

2. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

I had this same problem with picasa, and never resolved it. Deleted.

3. convert09 thread starter macrumors member

convert09

4. convert09 thread starter macrumors member

convert09

Solution

I must have searched these boards for at least 30 minutes before posting my question. Only got one response which didn't given me much hope so I said, "What the heck". I reinstalled the OS and much to my surprise Picasa now works like a charm. I installed iLife '08 (not 09) and did not even bother to try to run iPhoto. Installed Picasa and I'm back to normal. All photos intact on external drive. Only a couple of files lost on the reinstall, but nothing I can't get elsewhere.

This was another experience that has sold me on Apple computers. NEVER, on all the Windoze boxes I've had, has an OS install gone flawlessly. It did today. I think that's worth the money.
    :pto Windoze

:apple::D:apple:

5. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Sorry, I would have recommended deleting the plist in you're user library.

6. convert09 thread starter macrumors member

convert09

That's quite alright. I've been through a lot making the switch in April and I'm still learning things. As I stated in the last note, as frustrating as this experience was, it has helped confirm in my mind that the people at Apple are doing something right because the reinstall of the OS went perfectly. This has never happened (for me) before and I've read a lot of articles where it didn't go well for the Windoze gurus, either, e.g. Windoze Magazine, et. al.

Probably the biggest thing I've learned in this is that it doesn't matter what OS you have because things go wrong. Computers and software are created by fallible humans and fecal matter happens, but some things can be made better and 'better', I believe, comes with a price.

I REALLY used to hate the, what I call, Mac Snobs who defend their product of choice to the death. I've always contended that you like what you grew up with. In 1991/92 I started growing up with a Windoze system so that was comfortable to me. Now as I begin my journey with a new computer I hope to temper my new-found appreciation for Macs with the experiences of my past.

With regard to 'plist', what is it and what does it do. This is the first time I've heard anyone mention this term.

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Preference list, or simply preferences, for each of your installed apps. They're located in ~/Library/Preferences (Where "~" is your User directory).

8. convert09 thread starter macrumors member

convert09

9. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604