Picassa alternate

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ge.caroline, Feb 10, 2017.

1. ge.caroline macrumors newbie

G'day everyone. Is there a free alternate for the Picassa photo viewer (image attached) for Mac?
    I know Google have discontinued the product but it's an awesome product regardless, from the dev of f.lux.
    image[5].png

2. chscag macrumors 68000

What's wrong with using Preview which is included with your version of OS X and is likewise free?

3. ge.caroline thread starter macrumors newbie

To goto various images in the same folder I have to close the current Preview windows and open the new image by double clicking. Whereas in Picasa it's just a matter of left/right buttons.

4. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

There are some multiple picture viewing options built in the macOS that you might find useful:

View Pictures
    QuickLook
    : Use QuickLook to view pics. Just select a pic and press the space bar. Then use the up & down arrows to move through the folder. You can get a grid-style going from QuickLook by clicking on the little grid icon in the upper left of the photo when you’ve opened it via the Spacebar key. You’ll get a grid of all the photos you selected before you went into QuickLook.
    Or
    Preview: You can select all the files in the folder (Command-A), then right-click and Open with: Preview. That will open all pics in Preview so you can navigate through them and edit them, if you choose.
    Or
    Slideshow: Grab yourself a folder full of photos that you have on your Mac, and open it up. Then, select all the files in that folder or use Command-A. Once you’ve got them all selected, hit Option-Command-Y on your keyboard to start the Slideshow feature. Once you get the slideshow rolling, click on the little grid icon at the bottom of your image, between the right arrow and the Share icon. All the photos you selected will now show up in a grid, ready for your perusal. You can use the arrow keys to move around in the grid. The grid will rotate to any photos that don’t fit on the one screen when you get to the lower right corner of the photo layout.
    Or
    Column View: Set your Finder window in column view, then you can step through all the photos/images/documents in a folder and also navigate in and out of nested folders using the cursor keys.

5. MickeyVee macrumors member

MickeyVee

You can get Adobe Bridge CC 2017 for free.

6. ge.caroline thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the detailed write-up. Appreciate it. Being a Windows user for a long time it's difficult for me to adjust to these kind of quirks like the delay to activate Caps Lock while fast typing. I would prefer an app that gives a small thumbnail view of all the images to navigate instead of these steps just to find & view a picture. This clearly doesn't match for the intuitive character of the MacOS.

7. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

The QuickLook (select grid icon after entering QuickLook), Preview, & Slideshow (select grid icon after entering Slideshow) methods that I described will provide thumbnails to navigate. Open a folder with pictures, select all (Command-A), and then try one of the three methods. Give them a try. I think they will do what you have described in your posts.