Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What would you do?

• Total voters

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Get the Pioneer Kuro and you will never look back or second guess yourself. ;)

great tv's, expensive as hell though... don't know if the average joe is going to notice the difference form these and the panasonic line up. im a huge panasonic fan and i think that everything they make from the bottom to the top is great!

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
basesloaded,
Thank you for that link! What a great source of information! This was (I think) the most relevant section in that article for this particular forum thread:
[/I]

your welcome, i've read it myself multiple times, and it shows the technical and real life differences

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Hey everyone...

I am planning on buying a brand new 50" HDTV within the next month or two, and need some advice. I think I've got it narrowed down to two models based on reviews I've read on the net (consumers reports, cnet, etc.) but I could really use some 'real world' advice. My biggest concern is now my Handbrake ripped AppleTV vids will look on it.

My Specifics:
  • Most of the video I watch will be from Handbrake ripped DVDs through AppleTV
  • I will not have HD cable right away.
  • I will not own a Blu-Ray player right away, but may get a Sony Playstation within a year or so.
  • 2 or more HDMI Ports Please
  • High Quality Image Please
  • High Reliability/Quality Please
  • I want to hang it on a wall.

Here are the options I've come up with so far:

Panasonic TH-50PZ700U
Ranking of 81 "Best HDTV Ever Tested" on Consumer Reports
Ranking of 8.0 on CNET
1080P
$2300 Free Shipping

Panasonic TH-50PX75U
Ranking of 78 "Best Buy" Consumer Reports
Ranking of 8.0 on CNET
720P
$1400 Free Shipping

So, really the only difference between the two is 720 vs. 1080. What do you guys think? Is it worth the extra $900 to go up to 1080P? Am I dumb to be considering 720P? Am I looking at the completely wrong TVs for use with AppleTV?

Any advice would be very helpful! Thanks!

Dude, you know that HDTV is gonna be superseded by UHDTV soon, don't you? it'll have a resolution of 7,680 by 4,320 (about 33MP).

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
Does anyone have either of these two models? If so, what do you think?
Has anyone ever bought a HDTV over the web? If so, how did that go?

Duffinator

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2007
130 miles NE of Cupertino
Does anyone have either of these two models? If so, what do you think?
Has anyone ever bought a HDTV over the web? If so, how did that go?
I don't but I'm seriously thinking about buying the Pioneer 6010FD.

I have bought an HDTV from OneCall before and there were no issues with deliver and setup. Keep in mind this is a 56" widescreen HD RPTV and came in a huge box. I had issues with the set and was told it would take two months for the parts to come in, this was when the set was two months old. OneCall called the Toshiba rep and she had a new set delivered to me within three days. I never saw the old set again. I would buy from OncCall again.

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
if your going to buy online, crutchfield.com. incredible customer service, and these guys know what they are talking about!

Since you've purchased from an online store before... maybe you could answer this for me. If I buy a TV at a local Best Buy, and then have a problem with it 3 weeks later, I simply take it to Best Buy and they do whatever... all under warranty.

How does this work if I buy it online? Obviously there is a 1 year manufacturer's warranty, so how does that work? Where do I take it? Does someone come pick it up? Can I get it repaired at any 'Panasonic Dealer'?

Thanks for your help!

I think I am strongly leaning towards the 720P version right now... only because most of the "experts" dont' seem to think that most people can see a difference on 50" TVs. The problem is that most people on here, think that number is more like 46" or 42" and that anyone with a 50" should definitely have 1080P.

Decisions, decisions...

mondesi43

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2007
Samsung......

I have 2 - 720p Samsung LCDs (26" and 40") and they are great. If I could afford (read wife wouldn't kil me ;)) one, I would buy a 50 something Samsung today. They come with all the inputs you need.

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
I've found an interesting graph which (I think) really clears some things up as far as seating distance x resolution x screen size are concerned. Thought you guys deciding between 720P and 1080P like me!

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

Basically, from what the chart says... for a 50" tv, sitting at about 10 feet away, you are at the 'peak' of 720P (appreciating every pixel)... but if you move closer (10 ft or less) or get a slightly larger screen at that same distance, you'll get more out of 1080P.

I found the chart very intersting. Check it out everybody!

If nothing else... I think this chart made me realize that I probably didn't give enough information in my first post to make a REAL integillent decision. It seems like seating distance is EQUALLY important to screen size and resolution. It makes sense...

MACsimus19

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
As I posted in the Take 2 thread:

I've got a 1080p Panny Plasma and its awesome but if you have to have the best, you've got to get a Pioneer Kuro.

If your viewing distance is far enough, I'd suggest rocking a 50 inch 720p Kuro. They can be found for under $2000 which is a great deal. 5080HD is the model number, reviews are absolutely incredible. If you've got some extra dough I'd suggest the 5010FD which is their 1080p model (future proofing purposes).

On the Panny front, I'd wait till April as their new lineup of models are coming out. The replacement (800 series) for the already impressive 700u series might actually be comprable to the blacks on the Kuro. If glare is an issue and you want that 1080p flavor, the PZ77u model is a great solution offering many of the Plasma benefits with the glare-reduction of an LCD.

All things considered equal, the BEST LCD still can't touch the BEST Plasma...that's not opinion, its fact.

Jurry

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
Oostherhout, The Netherlands
Why Panasonic?

...buy a Philips Ambilight 42" (Philips 42PFL9632D), the same one as I've got. Really enhances your experience!

And if your wallet let's you, consider the Philips Aurea... :p

MACsimus19

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
...buy a Philips Ambilight 42" (Philips 42PFL9632D), the same one as I've got. Really enhances your experience!

Because panasonic and pioneer are arguably the best two plasma manufacturers out there. Panasonic's prices are also extremely reasonable if purchased at the right time. I have 2 1080p Plasmas from panasonic the PZ77u that i picked up for $1050 and a 50inch 700u that i got for the folks for $1800. Hard to beat that price/quality ratio. Slickdeals and fatwallet are your friends.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Since you've purchased from an online store before... maybe you could answer this for me. If I buy a TV at a local Best Buy, and then have a problem with it 3 weeks later, I simply take it to Best Buy and they do whatever... all under warranty.

How does this work if I buy it online? Obviously there is a 1 year manufacturer's warranty, so how does that work? Where do I take it? Does someone come pick it up? Can I get it repaired at any 'Panasonic Dealer'?

Thanks for your help!

I think I am strongly leaning towards the 720P version right now... only because most of the "experts" dont' seem to think that most people can see a difference on 50" TVs. The problem is that most people on here, think that number is more like 46" or 42" and that anyone with a 50" should definitely have 1080P.

Decisions, decisions...

they have a 30 day money back guarantee and they say that they will pay for the return shipping on almost everything. so you don't have to worry about paying to have it shipped back. i also think they are a bit more easy to work with and are willing to get you what you want, and if you aren't happy with it, they will do what they need to do to either fix it or give you a new replacement! just go to their web site. they win reward after reward for their customer service, which i think is almost as important as the overall price! i agree with you about TV size. UNLESS you plan on buying a blu-ray player any time soon, 720P is going to be great! nothing is broad casted in anything higher than 1080i. so 1080p is only worth it if your going to take advantage of it with blu-ray. i plan on buying the 42" 720P set this summer and i can't wait to get that panasonic set in my apartment! good luck with your purchase and it sounds like you have done your research and know what you need and want!

Noonzio

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2007
Dublin, Ireland
I'd get one of the Panasonic professional plasma's instead of the consumer models. From what I hear they're better picture quality and more adjustable. Slimmer, with less bezel. Though note that there is no internal tuner and no speakers.

720P version is Panasonic TH-50PH10UKA (USD 1,389)
1080P version is Panasonic TH-50PF10UK (USD 2,409)

(both of these come with the dual HDMI input board)

Both from Visual Apex http://www.visualapex.com

I have had two of the 42 inch SD models (both 480p) and they're superb. Showing an SD picture the 42 inch 480p model is better than my Dad's 42 inch 720p Panasonic consumer model.

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
As I posted in the Take 2 thread:

I've got a 1080p Panny Plasma and its awesome but if you have to have the best, you've got to get a Pioneer Kuro.

If your viewing distance is far enough, I'd suggest rocking a 50 inch 720p Kuro. They can be found for under $2000 which is a great deal. 5080HD is the model number, reviews are absolutely incredible. If you've got some extra dough I'd suggest the 5010FD which is their 1080p model (future proofing purposes).

On the Panny front, I'd wait till April as their new lineup of models are coming out. The replacement (800 series) for the already impressive 700u series might actually be comprable to the blacks on the Kuro. If glare is an issue and you want that 1080p flavor, the PZ77u model is a great solution offering many of the Plasma benefits with the glare-reduction of an LCD.

All things considered equal, the BEST LCD still can't touch the BEST Plasma...that's not opinion, its fact.

From what I've researched the Kuro's are about $500-$1000 above the same size Panny. I had kind of ruled them out at this point... since the Pannys had such good reviews, and had people saying they were 'just as good' or 'almost as good' as the Kuros for much less money. I don't know...

Do you know when the new models are scheduled to arrive in April? How long after that would you expect there to be decent sized discounts on the current models?

Is the PZ77u only in 1080P? I'll have to investigate prices. Thanks for all of your help!

I haven't done much research on this because it always seemed a bit of a 'fluff' feature and something to possibly go bad in the future. Is this not true? You seem to really enjoy yours. How does the picture quality compare to the Pannys/Kuros and how much of a premium would one expect to pay?

Because panasonic and pioneer are arguably the best two plasma manufacturers out there. Panasonic's prices are also extremely reasonable if purchased at the right time. I have 2 1080p Plasmas from panasonic the PZ77u that i picked up for $1050 and a 50inch 700u that i got for the folks for $1800. Hard to beat that price/quality ratio. Slickdeals and fatwallet are your friends.

Where on earth did you find the 700u for $1800!?!? I would jump on that in a heartbeat!

they have a 30 day money back guarantee and they say that they will pay for the return shipping on almost everything. so you don't have to worry about paying to have it shipped back. i also think they are a bit more easy to work with and are willing to get you what you want, and if you aren't happy with it, they will do what they need to do to either fix it or give you a new replacement! just go to their web site. they win reward after reward for their customer service, which i think is almost as important as the overall price! i agree with you about TV size. UNLESS you plan on buying a blu-ray player any time soon, 720P is going to be great! nothing is broad casted in anything higher than 1080i. so 1080p is only worth it if your going to take advantage of it with blu-ray. i plan on buying the 42" 720P set this summer and i can't wait to get that panasonic set in my apartment! good luck with your purchase and it sounds like you have done your research and know what you need and want!

Do you think most online stores would be similar to this... or is this website (what is it by the way) is unique in its excellent customer support? I found my best deals so far (on the first page of this thread) at buydig.com. I wonder if their customer support is as good.

I'd get one of the Panasonic professional plasma's instead of the consumer models. From what I hear they're better picture quality and more adjustable. Slimmer, with less bezel. Though note that there is no internal tuner and no speakers.

720P version is Panasonic TH-50PH10UKA (USD 1,389)
1080P version is Panasonic TH-50PF10UK (USD 2,409)

(both of these come with the dual HDMI input board)

Both from Visual Apex http://www.visualapex.com

I have had two of the 42 inch SD models (both 480p) and they're superb. Showing an SD picture the 42 inch 480p model is better than my Dad's 42 inch 720p Panasonic consumer model.

This is very intriguing to me. Ok, first... no tuner. What does this actually mean? How does it affect me and the external hardware that needs to be purchased outside of the TV?

I love the idea of the thinner bezel, but am less sure about not having speakers. I hadn't planned on getting a 5.1 system up and running for the first year or two... so I think speakers might be a good thing to have.

However, the quality of the screen also interests me... I wonder how much 'better' they actually are.

MACsimus19

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
However, the quality of the screen also interests me... I wonder how much 'better' they actually are.

Panels used are the same as the consumer models. Some of the filters that they use (anti-glare, anti-reflective might be slightly different and cause picture variences compared to consumer displays). For the most part they should look the same as the consumer models, they just have more end-user adjustments accessable without a calibrator.

The lack of tuner means that it is essentially just a monitor, which shouldn't be a big deal unless you plan on pulling OTA HDTV.

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
Panels used are the same as the consumer models. Some of the filters that they use (anti-glare, anti-reflective might be slightly different and cause picture variences compared to consumer displays). For the most part they should look the same as the consumer models, they just have more end-user adjustments accessable without a calibrator.

The lack of tuner means that it is essentially just a monitor, which shouldn't be a big deal unless you plan on pulling OTA HDTV.

Ah... Over The Air HDTV. Gotcha. The thing that would stink about this... is that I would have to add two external things right away. If I already had a surround sound system, and I didn't want OTA HDTV... this would be a good option. Unfortunately, I think I want both. ;)

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
Panasonic TH-50PZ700U
Ranking of 81 "Best HDTV Ever Tested" on Consumer Reports
Ranking of 8.0 on CNET
1080P
$2300 Free Shipping

Update: I've found the 1080P version for $1800 on Frys.com
It's actually a different model (PANASONIC TH-50PZ77U), but I think the only difference is that this one has the anti-glare coating. Can any one verify this?

Shipping costs $115 though. :( Still, that's over $300 less than the previous price.

Noonzio

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2007
Dublin, Ireland
I can only speak from personal experience but my 3 year old 480p professional series looks better than my Dad's 2 months old 720p consumer series . . displaying the same non-HD source.

It has no internal tuner which means you can't hook up cable directly to it . . so you would need a set top box. So if you intend to use a PS3, Xbox 360, DVD player or digibox (i.e. Comcast or DirecTV) you wouldn't need an internal tuner anyway (i.e. you can't 'tune' in channels on the TV - think of it as a computer monitor, which it essentially is).

Re the speakers you can should you wish get the speakers as an add on (they clip to the side seamlessly) but they're 299 USD - better get a 5.1 surround I say.

Re size of bezel - its approx 1 inch all round on the professional series (versus 1.5 on top and sides, and 3 to 4 on the bottom on consumer series).

MACsimus19

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
Update: I've found the 1080P version for $1800 on Frys.com
It's actually a different model (PANASONIC TH-50PZ77U), but I think the only difference is that this one has the anti-glare coating. Can any one verify this?

Shipping costs $115 though. :( Still, that's over $300 less than the previous price.

The anti-glare screen in my opinion is awesome. If you are in a bright room its almost a must have. Some feel that it takes some of the pop out of the picture when compared to the 700u. I've personally seen both calibrated and they look almost identical with the 700u being a bit more 3-Dish and the 77u a bit more realistic. Compare it to glossy vs. matte photo paper. The 700u is gloss and the 77u is Matte. In my mind the 77u offers all the great plasma benefits but has the glare filter that many LCDs are known for. Its a fantastic TV and I would highly recommend it. You have to buy for the environment you are in. If its a dark room then I say Pioneer 5080HD or 700u if you have glare, lights or anyother brightness you will find that the 77u is your only choice in plasma.

(TONS OF THREADS on the 77u vs. 700u on AVS forums - its a hot topic)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.