Pick-up at Apple Store question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rpearlberg, Oct 2, 2014.

1. rpearlberg macrumors 6502a

I'm sure this has been discussed before...
    If I reserve for in-store pickup, do they make you open the box and activate the phone during pickup? I'd like to pick it up, but not activate it until later when I get home from work.

2. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

I wouldn't have thought so I'm going to pick mine up on Saturday so if you haven't got one by then I can let you know :)

3. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks!!

4. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

You do not have to open the box and activate it there. Just make sure you tell the salesperson that before they open the box. Mine did that without asking (but I didn't care, you might).

5. Shadowbech macrumors 601

Just request the Apple sales not to open the box. Just tell them that you will open it when you get home.

6. dilutedq macrumors regular

Nope, I went in to get the Verizon iPhone 6 plus and just wanted the box so I could put in my Cricket sim card later. They had no issue with that and were friendly.

7. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

My sales person asked if I want it activated, I said no, so she gave it to me wrapped

8. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

I always like doing this sort of thing myself too, you never know if they ate a sandwich, or is as careful as yourself. Apple store employees get that, just say no.

9. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

I had my phone activated at the Apple Store without unwrapping the phone and opening box. Guess I could have told them I didn't want it activated but I previously had a problem activating my last iPhone and spent 30 minutes on the phone with Verizon and was removing and re-inserting the SIM among other things. Figured I'd save myself any problem activating it.

As it turned out both my phones were working as the other phone never got deactivated.

10. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

If your apple store is anything like mine be prepared to wait. I tried to buy an Iphone 6 128gb at full price this evening and waited for an hour with one person in front of me the whole time before I gave up and left. They could have cared less that I left.

12. VZGuy macrumors regular

VZGuy

I just picked up my 128gb Grey. I had to see 1 of the apple employees and he put my name into an iPad. I was told there would be a 15min wait for the phone. (Store was very busy). I was approached by another employee and verified some stuff on her device, and when it was verified she went in the back and got my phone. It had a sticker with my name on it. Another round of verification and I was handed the phone in the box unwrapped. She asked if i wanted personal setup and I refused. Walked out with the phone.

13. Korican100 macrumors 6502a

Korican100

sweet, im picking up tomorrow in my store, hope this is my experience also!

----------

was it personal pickup? or were you just trying to buy a phone?

14. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

One more question...
    I see the option for Verizon as a new customer to only choose the More Everything plan. Can I sign up for this and then switch to a single line plan? I have AT&T but am going to switch to Verizon.

15. macblitz macrumors member

macblitz

They do not open the box, it is still sealed.

But it is activated, they didn't ask me. My old verizon phone immediately stopped working. I opened the box at home.

16. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, so if I"m porting over from AT&T, that line will be dead when I pick up the new Verizon phone.

17. macblitz macrumors member

macblitz

I didn't know verizon had a single line plan, i thought they were all mobile shared plan. you can call customer service to change plans anytime.

here is my suggestions regarding porting numbers. Do not port number right away.

Buy a new verizon phone with a new number. Make sure the iphone is working, no bends, no scratches. Call customer service to change to single line plan first. If you have any issues with phone or single line plan, you have 14 days to return and cancel completely.

Once you have everything as expected, then call customer service to port the number. If you ported first, and find issues with the phone,issues with single line plan, issuew with reception (unlikely with Verizon). It will be very diffucult to reverse anything.

18. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Verizon has a $60 unlimited talk/text and 2GB of data for a single line.

19. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

This is how it went for my and my wife's ATT phones as well.

----------

That is probably true :)

Did you not expect there to be a wait at this point?

20. rpearlberg, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014

rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

So according to a Verizon online chat, you can only get the single line plan if you buy the phone from Verizon. They said I can't get it from Apple with a MORE Everything and then switch plans...

EDIT: This info can't be right because Best Buy has the single line plan as an option for new customers...

21. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

They don't open it, but when i got mine i had to open it because my iphone 5 was deactivated right away.

22. macblitz macrumors member

macblitz

This is why I would buy from apple store with a brand new phone number, don't port.

Then try to switch to the single line data plan over the phone on verizon customer service (611) or bring it to verizon local store.

If everything fails, return the phone back to apple store, 14 day policy. No fee, no 15% restock, no need to do any port changes.

If successful, then port number.

23. deviant macrumors 65816

Pick up at apple store? Just find the most attractive girl, buy her an iPhone and .. success

24. AppleWarMachine macrumors 65816

AppleWarMachine

for some people it's a private moment and they just want to be alone :D

25. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

They don't get commission