Pick up In-Store or Ship iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by whocaresit, Feb 19, 2011.

1. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

When Apple finally opens up iPad 2 orders, am I better off with preordering the iPad for pickup in store or have it shipped?

I just want to the first one to own one! :D

2. stev3n macrumors 6502

I would have it mailed to you. Several people received the Verizon iPhone before you could get it at stores.

3. h00ligan macrumors 68030

4. chrishemley823 macrumors newbie

No one cares about the first person. You ever see those "first!" comments on YouTube videos? Do you care about them? Exactly.

5. jealousguy86 macrumors 6502

ship it.

free shipping, plus no lofty sales tax in the stores.

6. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

I don't really care about being one of the first ones to get something new. I just love the atmosphere of waiting in line at a store for something to launch. So I will be at the Apple store waiting in line before it comes out. :D

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Where are you that you don't have to pay sales tax on apple.com purchases? I'd assumed they had a presence n every state in the US, but could well be wrong.

The answer to the OPs question depends on the situation. For me I'd go with shipping as I have too many other thngs to do than stand in line at an Apple store. Others may enjoy that excitement. No matter though, even if the ipad2 is something I want I'll wait past the hubbub.

8. chrishemley823 macrumors newbie

Underage user doesn't know how taxes work.

9. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

In the past I would have said to have it shipped. It worked out great for me with the iPhone 3GS and 4, but I did the same with my 27" Cinema Display and ended up waiting for 3 days while people were walking into the store and buying them. I think I'm doing in store pickup this time. It is also kinda fun being at the store for these events.

10. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

Somewhat OT (since I doubt they will be available from day one from any other source but Apple)...

I went to buy a MBA online, and discovered that not only can you get it (and the Ipad) from Amazon tax free, but it is also $50 cheaper then the Apple store.

Back OT, I think you are better off ordering online from Apple the second that the Apple store comes back online following Steve’s (or Tim's) keynote address... On Sep 5, 2011, at 1232 PST.... And not a moment before.

How did you like that hijack?

11. thaghost macrumors 6502

pre-order and ship. No need to hassle with the lines.

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

SHIP IT. I pre-ordered my iPhone 4. Remember the big crowds at stores the day it launched? FedEx actually showed up at my house the day BEFORE the official launch. But I was at work at the time, so I got it the next day, the actual release day. Cost the same as going to a store and I didn't have to deal with all the crazies waiting in line. I honestly don't get waiting in line unless you don't have a secure place to have the thing shipped or don't have a credit card.

13. whocaresit, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011

whocaresit thread starter macrumors 6502a

I only have 7 (SEVEN) S-E-V-E-N days to decide how to preorder it! :eek:
    Help help me decide!

I want to be the 1st to preorder it!!!!!!!111!1!!!

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Relax, just buy it online and have it shipped. The odds of you being the first to [pre]order it is small. Either way, just be patient and when the iPad 2 arrives, you'll have it

15. deeddawg macrumors 604

+100

Six months from now it won't matter one little bit whether you got it the first day or a week later.

16. jealousguy86 macrumors 6502

will it be in best buy stores the day it launches or only apple stores? cuz i think if it's in a best buy store right away i'll just try my luck there and get it the first day or 2, rather than order it the first day online.

17. uzit macrumors regular

I think I will be heading to my local Apple store for the iPad. I have never been to a launch/release day thing. Wanted to get the iPhone 4 on launch but fell ill...hopefully I don't for the iPad 2! :p

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can understand people's eagerness to get a new apple product but shouldn't we wait until we hear what the iPad2 will be.

I can see it now, once the actual specs are released, we'll see a number of threads whining that apple didn't go far enough, or they waited months for such a small update. Unless apple goes to a retina display, people will be disappointed no matter what apple does at this point.

19. WLS macrumors 65816

20. uzit macrumors regular

Personally, I really don't mind what the iPad will have. I don't own the first iPad and I was okay with waiting for the second, so bring on iPad 2!

21. Beardy man macrumors regular

Damn right! Seen it all before - more regular than an Apple update. If they came out with a gold plated iPad2 for the same price as before someone would whine about "I want a white one". I suspect that most of these whiners aren't even interested in buying one - a touch of "well if it had xx i'd be all over it, but it hasn't so count me out". Those of us who are real potential buyers will look at what it is for how much, then buy or not. Based on the original specs, to be honest, any improvement in RAM and CPU speed for about the same price is good for me. Yes, iRetina would have been sweet but as I can read stuff from as far away as 2feet (do it all the time on my cinema display) I don't think I'll notice the difference most of the time.

Fingers crossed that the launch date swiftly follows the media event!

22. Chilean.Miner macrumors member

Chilean.Miner

can't wait for this thing, it's like crack only more addictive

23. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I did the 3AM thing at the AT&T store for an iPhone 3G

Was able to grab an iPhone 3GS around 6pm on launch day

got an iPad several months after release, just sold it ;)

pre-ordered iPhone 4 and had it shipped to my house. Got it a day early.

I think the "taking a sick day" and heading to the store at 2-3 am and hanging out is fun. I won't do it for everything I buy. But for Halo games and my favorite gadgets it's pretty cool.

My only concern with pre-order and in store pickup is some nightmare situation where I get up to the Desk and they somehow don't have my iPad.

If I have some buddies that want to do the camp out thing I am always down for a little adventure. We usually bring a cooler full of beer.

If I'm flying solo on iPad pre ordering I will just have it sent to the house and get drunk unboxing it.

24. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Ship it

Wait in line for a consumer electronics product that can be delivered directly to my home? Right....:eek:

25. whocaresit thread starter macrumors 6502a