iPhone XR Pick-up no longer available for XR?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Unprocessed1, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Was waiting until today to pull the trigger on a pick-up for launch day, but looks like it says "currently not available" on the Apple website. Any idea if this will become an option again for launch day?

2. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

That’s a good sign that Xr is selling pretty well.

3. Mackinjosh Suspended

Are you paying full price? If so, see if one of the other carriers still has the color available and buy that one instead. The only difference is you'll get their sim instead of the one for your carrier. Otherwise it's an unlocked phone that will work on any of the carriers they support.

4. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

All my local stores had pickup availability for launch day as of last night. Don't think it has anything to do with demand.

5. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

Could be that Apple is shifting inventory to the pre-orders. It could be that they were late in updating their availability on website.

I imagine that they have limited manpower working on Xr release than they had with Xs. In addition Xr release is very close to iPad too.

6. Mackinjosh Suspended

As expected, they sold a ton of these already in China. They could be shifting inventory in that direction. But we have no idea what demand is like in the West until Apple says something. It also seems like a phone aimed at people who dont typically pre-order technology.

7. Broadus macrumors 6502a

That could be. I don’t see the unavailability for pickup to be because demand shot through the roof or else there would be more delayed shipping times through the carriers.

8. Shadowbech macrumors 601

Typically, Apple will disable this feature and will be back on Saturday. This was the case for the 8/8Plus, X last year and same for XS/XS Max. They do this intentionally.

Who knows. Apple typically disables this feature from now till Saturday Morning.

I can guarantee you that you can simply just walk to the Store on Friday and be able to pick one up.

9. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

The XR for China is a different model, so it’s unlikely inventory can be shifted. It’s likely reservations are shut down so the stores can order the inventory and reserve the staff.

10. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Availability has gone to ‘currently unavailable’ for 26th October’ at my local Apple Store too. I think it’s the first iPhone since the 7 to sell out in all storage tiers. Good to see it popular

11. Shadowbech macrumors 601

I don't think so because Apple typically disables this feature sometime after the pre-order weekend. This was the same case for the XS/XS Max where some models still showed available for pick till Late Sunday night then Apple Disabled this and then re-enabled on Saturday morning.

So no Apple has not sold out this product. Even if you order now and do for home delivery, some models but T-mobile have it for 10/26/18.

As stated, I can guarantee you 100% that Apple Store will have them on stock for walk ins for the XR. As was the same case for XS/XS Max and previous models before it.

12. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Fair enough, I just don’t ever remember seeing the X or XS being unavailable at all over here but could be wrong.

13. Shadowbech macrumors 601

Oh, UK might be different? I know in the U.S they typically disable the pick up after the launch weekend (if the Apple Store had some availability). I'm pretty sure the XR will be popular.

14. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

They are probably just recalibrating inventory. The same thing happened early launch week for XS/XS Max. I would bet that XR will be available to order for Oct 26 pickup in a day or two

15. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Interesting that now delivery windows have been pushed back to November 5-12. Hope there's still some walk-in stock available on launch day. Obviously, this was deliberate on Apple's part and not a sudden rush of demand.

--- Post Merged, Oct 22, 2018 ---
    There was basically universal launch day pick-up availability as of last night. Seems like Apple is just stopping pickups for now.

16. Hrti macrumors newbie

Don't know if off topic, but I just checked the online Apple Store here in Norway. All colors and capacities except 64GB black and Product Red have been available for friday 26th delivery up until a couple of hours ago. Now all colors and capacities have been pushed back to an oct 31-nov 7 delivery window. Seems weird

17. tl01 macrumors 68020

I think they have just made them all unavailable. I don’t think all just suddenly sold out across the board everywhere for each version at the same time.

18. craigio85 macrumors 6502

craigio85

After the initial weekend, the XS changed to a message which said “no availability right now - check back on Saturday 22nd” for instore reservations.

I imagine it’s because there’s a ceiling to how many people they can book to walk in. Even a straightforward pickup takes about ten minutes of time to process so they’ll need to resource the staff to make sure they still have plenty of people available to deal with the other customers.

My partner joined iUp the day it launched in the UK alongside the iPhone 7 and it was an absolute fiasco. They’d completely overbooked and under-resourced and by 1pm, people who’d booked for 10am were still queuing. Even when I picked up my XS, there was a 15 minute wait to be seen.

19. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Curious why the shipping window slipped 2 weeks to Nov 5-12 as well.

20. Broadus macrumors 6502a

Only Apple knows.

21. roanmy macrumors member

Maybe they're doing it to make it seem like its picking up steam xD

22. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power