pick your plan / Go phone balance limit...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VicRattlehead, Nov 21, 2008.

1. VicRattlehead macrumors regular

thats the text message ive gotten from att the last few days. seems im not using my phone enough because ive built up a 246.xx dollar balance in my account. i chose this route because it was the best deal for me for what id be using. i dont use my phone much i have the 39.99 for 300 min, unlimited iphone data plan and a 4.99 200msg text plan.

im wondering if anyone has ever gone from a go phone plan to a contract plan and carried over their balance to cover the new contract plan or activation fee or something. i dont want just throw away almost $250 nor do i want to change to a lower go phone package id end up spending more per month.

thanks,
    keith

2. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I did this exact thing earlier this year. Originally I was told if I go from pre-pay to post pay I would lose the credit Id built up on my account, which was about $130. But someone else told me that it would carry over and in-fact it did.

3. VicRattlehead thread starter macrumors regular

thanks voodoo i talked to att and the rep i talked to thought that i could transfer it he wanted to verify it and called someone while i was on hold and he told me she said it couldnt be done but he was insisting that he thought it could be done. i asked if i went into a store to do it would it help, he said that might not be a bad thing.

4. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

That was my exact experience. One person swore that it couldnt be done, the other person said it wasnt a problem. I think I did go to the store and they were able to do it. If I remember correctly the phone rep notated the account that I wanted my pre-pay balance transferred to my new post-pay. Then I went to the ATT store, they saw that in the notes and were able to do it.

5. aerospace macrumors 6502a

I'm in a similar situation. Seems it tops out at $250, does that mean I can go into att store, upgrade to 3g and still have $50 available?

Current iphone needs replacing and while I don't mind the $10/mo more for 3g and gps, the $200 phone cost and losing my $250 balance are major factors.

Anyone work for att and can confirm this? Would be the solution to my problem.

6. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

7. VicRattlehead thread starter macrumors regular

just an update, i was able to go over to a postpaid acct, they said the balance would transfer,BUT, i got a bill for a past due unpaid balance of 160 dollars, seems that my 246 dollar credit wasnt transfered. ive been going rounds with att the last few days about this, they cant seem to find my money, they say theres nothing in my acct to transfer. and today the pickyourplan people are not in the office so this is going to continue for a few more days. they already turned my phone off once this week. im furious with them right now.

8. VicRattlehead thread starter macrumors regular

new edit,

finally got someone that knew what they were doing, they got me in touch with someone in prepay and they got me in touch with someone in tech support in prepay she found the last transactions and the remaining balance that was suppose to be transfered. she told me its been credited but i havent been able to check my account online to verify it but from what she told me when she called me back a few hours later it should be fixed. when i can get in my acct ill update this again