Picked up a 17" iMac G4 Today

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by LurchNC, May 7, 2009.

1. LurchNC macrumors regular

Hi,
    A buddy of mine's Mom just upgraded to a new iMac. I had helped him put a new DVD burner in her G4 a few month's ago. I told him if she ever wanted to sell it to let me know. I always thought the G4's had an incredible design and would be cool to have.

I offered $200, but she wouldn't take more than $75. :D. Anyway, It had 10.3.9 on it, so I updated it to leopard. I'm pretty surprised it runs so well. It's nearly six years old! I don't think many 6 year old PCs are running Vista. lol

The only thing I might do is add a bluetooth usb adapter to run my wireless keyboard. I have it next to my couch so I can surf while I watch TV. Works great!

Specs:
    17"
    1.25 GHz G4
    1.25 GB Ram
    Airport Extreme
    New Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-116D (The one I helped him install)
    Apple "Pro" Speakers (The round clear ones)

Lots of fun.
    R.J.

2. suburbia macrumors 6502

The iMac G4 is the most baroque of all the iMac designs-- love this. This was, everything from the design of the computer, to the speakers, and the accompanying commercial, was pure design and function. This, along with the Cube, took Apple to the realm and level of Eames territory.

Hope you enjoy this object of beauty!

3. LurchNC thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

I picked up a D-Link DBT-120 Bluetooth adapter today for it. Works perfect.

It seems to play SD H.264 stuff ok, but anything over 1500 kb/s and it starts choking. Overall, definitely the coolest computer I have owned. I wish they would come out with a modern version. I really don't care for the current iMac designs.

R.J.

4. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

Sounds like you got a GREAT deal ... enjoy!!! :D

5. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

If Apple re-released a version of the G4 iMac, but Intel-based and with a 24" screen, I'd do this. :D

6. omniinvoice macrumors member

I got mine of ebay around 5 years ago. Got given the G5, but no way will I be getting rid of the G4. Works as same as it would have brand new. And I still think its the best looking Mac to date.

7. chapmac macrumors member

Nice, and a total bargain!

Identical spec to mine, which is just over 5 years old now, except I have a built in bluetooth module. Although replaced by MBP now it still runs absolutely great. The 1.25Gb RAM is absolutely fine for Leopard and providing you aren't doing loads of video editing is a great everyday machine for office/itunes/iphoto/surfing/DVD watching etc. I never have any problem with video whatsoever.

Runs a damn site quicker and more reliably than my brother-in-laws year old Vista desktop that's for sure.

Most agree that is a design classic - I changed the standard keyboard for the new Apple 'aluminium' bluetooth keyboard - i think is complements the design beautifully!

Enjoy....

8. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I got a 1GHz 17" Superdrive for my mom a few months ago for $125. I thought THAT was a good deal, but you did pretty awesome for $75. First thing I did was put 10.5 on it and up the RAM to 2Gb just to cure that urge to max it out. I love that design, and she likes it a lot more than her old eMac. I just wish it had USB 2.0 like the model you got.

9. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Sweet deal! Enjoy. A G4 processor is definitely still usable for almost all basic tasks. And it sounds like your putting the fine design to good use as a part of your living room decor. :)

10. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Sometimes I wish I never sold my iMac G4... 800mhz, 15". Was a beauty

11. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Wouldn't it be cool to buy just the casing components on ebay and put a standard 17 inch widescreen monitor in the case and a DVD burner/HD inside the case and run the cables out the back to a Mac Pro or PowerMac G5? Or put a Mac Mini inside the case with the video cable running to the dvi port? Wire up the sleep light to the monitor's sleep light or the mini's?