Picked up a 2.4 MBP. Love it.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by akm3, Oct 17, 2008.

1. akm3 macrumors 68020

I got the new 2.4 MBP, and I have to say - based on what I was hearing on the forum and in the reviews, I was expecting it to be much worse.

If I had a choice, I probably would have bought the matte display, but now, I don't know why. The Glossy looks fantastic. It is NOT like looking in a mirror. It doesn't bug me at all, it just looks nice.

I was under the impression I would be facing all glare all the time. It's just not the case.

Yes, if the light is a certain way, it will glare. But on a matte screen, it would have washed out. Either way, I can't see the picture - don't compute with a bright light behind you! Duh! I am still sad for those that believe they need matte to do color critical work - I am not one of those people, so it isn't an issue to me.

The screen feels *huge*. I've been stuck on 13.3" and 14" displays for so long, I forgot how big 15.4" feels. I previously owned a monster Dell e1705 with the 17" display, which is obviously bigger, but it doesn't seem like it's *THAT* much bigger. This 15.4" feels closer to 17" then it does to the 13.3"...Which makes sense :)

Anyway, it's a great machine. It's a little weird to get used to the no button trackpad.

The black keys are showing finger grease quickly (any tips on how to clean without damaging?) I do wash my hands, so I was a little bummed.

Two questions: I need 204pin ddr3 ram 2x2gig to upgrade. Correct? For hard drives, is it SATA 1.5gbs or 3.0gbs?

Also, to put my current hard drive into an external firewire enclosure, can I just get a 2.5" 'sata' enclosure, or is there some 'mini-sata' or something for laptop hard drives?

Thanks! Love it!

-Allen

2. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

finally a positive review...sort of. congrats and enjoy!

3. marvel2 macrumors 6502

I had trouble going from 13.3 at first too. Now I prefer the screen/resolution.

4. 7even macrumors 6502a

Congrats :D I just got one today too. Coming from a 13.1" screen, the 15.4" is endlessly big. My only regret is not getting the 2.53 ghz model :( My wallet thanks me though. :D

5. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Yes DDR 3 notebook ram and 1.5 or 3.0 data are backwards compatible so it doesn't matter , but I would to for the sata 3. :)

6. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I love mine, too.

Went from MB 13" to 15", and don't even want to use my 22 LCD display with it because I love how uniform the LED screen is.

One very MINOR thing, is that light seems to bleed into the black screen just a little around the edges in black scenes in movies. Nothing major, but just noticeable. I thought it might have to do with the backlit keyboard(which I totally understand why the keyboard is black now, the contrast is better), but that's not it.

7. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

i owned a SR MBP, and a Penryn MBP,

my new MBP is by far a much better machine than the previous 2. For one the screen hinge is wayy stiffer so you don't get that annoying wobble while you type.

I think the only valid complaint about the new MBP's is the keyboard, as i dont quite like it as much as the old MBP, its is deffently much stiffer than the keyboard on the new MB / MBA.. even thought they look the same, the new MBP keyboard has a much more "clicky" feel, not mushy like the MB / AIR

8. henhowc macrumors regular

I'm sure there are going to be more but you guys are still in the honeymoon phase. ;)

9. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

if that makes you feel better, um ok..

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congratulations and may you and your MBP thrive together. Enjoy it, and nice to read a positive review.
    Cheers and good luck

11. thespyglass macrumors regular

thespyglass

Thanks for the reviews, guys. Nice to read some positive impressions :)