Phones Picked up a Droid Turbo. First impressions.....

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by jamezr, Oct 30, 2014.

1. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

So i picked up the Droid Turbo. Have never been a Droid guy but could not pass this one up. Verizon has a deal going on that includes a $100 trade in for any Verizon phone. I happen to have an old BB Bold 9650. So after all the deals were done with a new 2 year agreement the phone cost me $16 or just the taxes. I could not pass it up. I will give battery findings after a cycle or two.....

First impressions:

Very nice to hold in the hand....it feels just right. It is a very light phone. I got the 32GB model Black Ballistic Nylon. This is the one with the Kevlar back. The reason why i chose this model is the back it awesome. But also there is NO VERIZON BRANDING ON THIS PHONE! Not on the front or the back. But unfortunately it does come with the usual Verizon bloat.
    Anyway....here are some picture comparisons with my Note 4
    Point and shoot no processing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note 4

[​IMG]

Droid Turbo

[​IMG]

Note 4

[​IMG]

Droid Turbo

[​IMG]

Note 4

[​IMG]

Droid Turbo

[​IMG]

2. MRU Suspended

MRU

Picked up a Droid Turbo. First impressions.....

Good deal with your carrier (you phone Junkie) ...

Not a fan of it aesthetically, looks like a HTC One X from 2011.

Does it have active display and how does it compare to your Note 4? (Screen wise / performance)

3. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

Well, congrats on your new toy! Thanks for posting photos. Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it. It's a nice looking phone, and yay for capacitive buttons on a top specced non-Sammy phone! Also OMG no Verizon branding...the time of miracles isn't over yet...

+1 for doge

LOL nice try... :D

4. jamezr thread starter macrumors G4

jamezr

It does have Active Display.
    I think the screen is a bit brighter and more clear on the Note 4
    Performance wise it is very fast and responsive. Everything just flys. It is every bit as responsive as say the M8.
    I love the Motos Assist App. Run the app on the Turbo...install it on the Note...run it and it transfers all the....media, messages and settings from the N4 to the Turbo.

----------

The pot was calling the kettle....well you all get the picture! In the dictionary under "phone junkie" it says to look up MacRumorUser on these forums.......

5. MRU Suspended

MRU

Picked up a Droid Turbo. First impressions.....

Lol....

The funny thing is my first thought was, oh that means another excuse to have to get another to keep up :D

6. jamezr thread starter macrumors G4

jamezr

LOL! I gotta thin the herd...might be selling my GS5 and OPO.......still have my sights on a N6 if it ever comes to my carrier.

7. Jspring86 Suspended

Jspring86

Sweet! How many Verizon lines do you have for yourself now? I currently have 4, plus 1 T-mobile prepaid for playing with a GSM phone. I think we all have some serious phone addictions!

8. jamezr thread starter macrumors G4

jamezr

I have 3 lines on Verizon and 2 on AT&T........

9. Jspring86 Suspended

Jspring86

We both have 5, sweet! It makes me feel better that someone else has the same situation, anytime I go to get a new phone the person looks at my account and asks why I have so many phones, or if this is a small business account!

Btw, I was tempted to get the Turbo if I had not ordered the Nexus 6. The Turbo actually looks really good, what the Moto X 2014 should have been in my opinion.

10. mel823 macrumors 6502

mel823

Look at that precious puppy!!!

I really like nylon back.

11. jamezr thread starter macrumors G4

jamezr

She is our second rescue dog.....she is supposed to be Australian Cattle dog...but not sure and don't care!

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Looking at the photos, which is more true to the natural color?

It looks like the Note 4 photos are saturated, Droid photos are washed, or is it a little bit from both sides?

13. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

I'm about 99% sure Verizon was announced as an N6 carrier.

Here are the bands for the N6 if you buy directly from Google
    BTW, I LOVE that clock widget, any chance you have the name of it handy? I THOUGHT I heard it was available to all but it may be a Turbo exclusive.

14. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

And here I was thinking adding a third line to my verizon account was the height of insanity. Both you and MRU need intervention.

15. jamezr thread starter macrumors G4

jamezr

you are right.....the pis of Molly my dog are more accurate on the droid. But the last pic of the pinkish flowers are washed on the droid.

----------

I need help......

----------

Yeah VZW has been announced they will get the N6...but who knows whn that will happen. It was sold out in like 30 seconds on the playstore and very unorganized.
    That widget is called Rings Digital Weather Clock...can be found in the Playstore. :)

16. vgamedude, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014

vgamedude macrumors 6502a

The screen is worrying me a tad. It looked very dim in the hands on videos I saw. Is it really bad or is it just the cameras?

I don't expect it to be note 4 quality but id like it to be very close. I'm going to likely wait for displaymate to test it but I figured id ask you too.

One more thing I forgot to mention! Can you dim the capacitive navigation buttons and do they dim themselves like samsung devices? I don't want them lit up whenever I'm watching videos or using the phone, only lit up when I need them to be, and lightly at that.

17. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Went into Verizon to play with the Turbo. Overall I'm not impressed. Definitely feels more like a downgrade to the Note 4. I was not feeling the screen, speaker and it felt more like a Moto x with capacitive buttons. Picture taking is slower but understandable.
    That phone just did not do it for me like I thought it would. Nexus 6 might be able to top the Note but I'm worried about the screen and battery.

18. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

Out of interest how do you get out of a contract? I notice you've signed up to 2 years with the Droid so do you keep contracts going side by side or so you cancel one? That must get very expensive if you have multiple contracts. :)

19. jamezr thread starter macrumors G4

jamezr

I did sign a 2 year contract. But the phone was free with the trade in and new promotion. So if i do not like the phone I can sell it and break even with the phone being free and to break the contract is $350. I can sell the phone for $500 or more......
    Hope this helps.

20. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Of course I checked it out yesterday.

But I have the G3, Note 4 and 2nd.gen Moto X and ...

I have not been committed yet, interventation is certainly lurking. :)

I Will not even mention the tablets I tried in the last month and another one next week. GEEZ!

21. Jspring86 Suspended

Jspring86

That is definitely the way to do it, always keep phones you can sell for more than the ETF. Of course, if you find too many phones that you like and want to keep around, it can still get a bit expensive! Speaking from experience. :D

22. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

That makes sense. I often wonder how people have more than one phone and afford it as I see it a lot in here. Thanks :)

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm not sure I like the back, would have to see it in person.

24. danthe93 macrumors member

danthe93

Well there are rich dudes, and there are not so rich dudes. THere are also dudes which require more than 1 phone. There are dudes which have their phones paid for by their employers. :apple:

25. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

hmmm, interesting deal. So, they will take any verizon smart phone trade? Like an old htc thunderbolt ?:cool: Yes, I still have it...the first phone with LTE.

Love your pup, decent pics on that Droid.

----------

I have a couple...few... more than one. for biz and fun...