Picked up a i7 15" MBP...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by onehotchili, Apr 16, 2010.

1. onehotchili macrumors newbie

totally spur of the moment, but today i picked up a i7 15" MBP w/ anti-glare.... i haven't busted it out because i think i am going to return it and get a BTO one w/ the 8mb RAM (the store was out of RAM and couldn't upgrade it) and i want the 7200 rpm 500gb HD. unfortunately i have to wait 5-7 business day.

it was fun playing with it in the store, and it is taking ALL my will power not to open this one i have in my home office.... :D

2. csnplt macrumors 6502

csnplt

What do you need the 8 GB of RAM for? I'd say open it up and enjoy a new MBP (at least that's what I'd do). If you need more RAM, it would be much cheaper to buy and install it yourself.

3. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Any reason you don't drive to another retailer tomorrow to buy the RAM? Probably saving over Apple even with this method, if you prefer not to wait for it to ship to you at a lower price.

4. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Not only that, can sell the 4 GB of RAM in addition to paying less for the 8 GB of RAM.

5. onehotchili thread starter macrumors newbie

since this is a laptop i'll be using for 90% work stuff (running VMWare, Windows, MS Visual Studio, MS SQL Server etc.).... i need the 8Gb of RAM, the faster spinning HD, and NO HEADACHES if anything comes up in case of hardware failure.

i picked up the laptop as a backup this weekend to my main development laptop (Lenovo T61)... which is showing dubious signs of failing... i am hoping to milk it for another week or so till my new MBP shows up.

in any case, pretty fired up to switch to this Mac as my main computer!

6. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Yup, I'd agree with everyone else. I think you'll be fine with the stock i7. I've got the same thing, and it's perfect for Aperture + Photoshop. After a while, if you decide you do need RAM... you can buy some online, save $50+, then sell your old ram, get more money back. I also don't think you'll notice a *huge* difference between the two HD speeds.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Here's the RAM you need:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/8566DDR3S8GP/

If you need help you can call them; they have great support and service. Also they let you send in your RAM in for credit in a future purchase (so you get store credit really), but I recommend you keep your original RAM for warranty purposes.

8. seventy9ers macrumors newbie

This is what I was planning on doing as soon as my local store has the i7 with hi def glossy. But how much do you guys think I can sell my 4gb RAM that I pull off the macbook pro for and where the best place to sell them at? Ebay or craigslist?

9. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

I'd mostly agree, but I like to use more than 4 GB of RAM while using VMWare. 8 GB isn't a bad idea.

10. kheard73 macrumors regular

kheard73

exactly...VMWARE and 8Gb is perfect...