Picked up a new MBP 13" Retina 4GB model

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AluminumMB, May 23, 2014.

1. AluminumMB macrumors regular

The memory is a bit on the low side but I decided to pick it up. Love the new retina its slim and it has the new improved integrated gfx.

Sold my gaming PC for it. For the 4GB Retina owners, do you find that the memory is too low and how do you manage with it?

Thanks

2. jharvey71884 macrumors regular

Very curious as well. Thinking about purchasing one.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

http://bgr.com/2013/11/18/apple-13-inch-retina-macbook-pro-review-late-2013/

BGR sure doesn't find 4GB low :)

4. daroga macrumors member

If you run Virtual Machines (Windows in Parallels or VMWare, etc.) or do heavy video or photo work, 4 GB might be limiting a bit. But for pure Mac OS stuff, 4 is just fine.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

And if one runs more than one VM at the same time, 8GB will be limiting.

I normally run 3 VMs at the same time (Windows Server - 6GB assigned and 2 Linux builds, 2GB each) and 16GB of RAM is starting to get a bit limiting (1GB of swap used in half an hour).

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Other then VMs I think 4GB is fine for most people needs and OSX is great at memory management much better then windows imo.

7. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I created a little questionare to roughly determine the amount of RAM you should purchase. Here is the link, post what you get in the comments and it will help you out to see if 4Gb of RAM is enough for you :)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1730485

8. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

I think the flash storage in this new Mac really helps with the speed :apple:

9. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

You are correct, as when RAM gets exhausted (runs out), it writes data to disk (known as Swap, as well as Page Out's). Having PCIe based Flash will help this be less noticeable when compared to a standard SSD or a HDD.