Picked up a Powermac G5 dual 2.0PPC today

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by rpang, May 29, 2009.

1. rpang macrumors member

Picked up a non-working PowerMac G5 dual 2.0Ghz PPC today for $75. Issue is it needs a new power supply. After doing some research, it seems that I can pick up a power supply from eBay for $100. I hear its a tedious task to replace the power supply in these units though since you have to remove the processors to access the power supply. Anyone replace a Power Supply before?

Anyway, if I don't get it up and running, its no big loss. I hear intel machines, including mac minis will run circles around the G5, but I've always wanted a G5 way back then but couldn't afford it, and the G5/mac pro case is dead sexy. Maybe if I can get it running, I will trade it in for a mac mini.

What do you guys think?

2. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    Very nice...

I still find the g5 machines are much faster than the intels for video editing.... we use them at work sometimes.

That being said, I had to replace the power supply in my office machine too..

You only need to remove the bottom processor, so you'll need a long screwdriver. The whole task took me about half an hour... go slowly and you should be fine.

3. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap