Picked up a PS3 on a whim.

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Mike Teezie, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Like the title says, I was walking through a store the other day, and bought a PS3. I knew I would get one eventually, I just didn't know it would be now.

The thing is, I really don't know much about them as I've been enjoying my 360 for about a year and a half now. I got the 80 gig pack with MGS4, which is just brilliant. Probably my favorite series of all time, and this game is living up to all of my extremely high expectations.

So, what I'm wondering, is do you guys have any tips or game recommendations? I just bought MediaLink, and I'm looking forward to playing with that. I also bought flOw, as I remember people saying it was pretty great.

Anything else I should already have?

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I bought my PS3 for the same reason as you, as a Bluray player. The only game I've got now is GTA. I would say though, even if you don't end up getting any games whatsoever, its worth the money just for its Bluray playing ability. IMO, its one of the best, if not *the* best HD disk player out of all the Bluray and old HD-DVD players. I really wanted to hate it since I was never a fan of the PS3, I only got it to be HD format neutral last year and honestly, its probably the best CD/DVD/HD player I've ever had.

I do wish there was a way to turn it off via the media remote though. If anyone could tell me a way, I'd be really happy!

I hope Jimmi doesn't see this, he might have a heart attack at me praising the PS3!!

3. diddy macrumors 6502

Pixel Junk Monsters on PSN. Try the demo. :D

Have you ever played the Hot Shots Golf series? The PS3 incarnation is probably my favorite yet. Again, demo time.

Spanky, do you mean the PS3 specific bluetooth media remote? If so, just hold down the PS button for a moment and you will be given the option to shut down.
    EDIT: In the new firmware, there is now an option to turn the system off at the far left of the XMB.

4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Yeah that's the remote. Awesome, thanks! One less reason to move from the couch. :D

5. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I feel the same way. I have HD cable channels, but I was really impressed by Bluray. HBO HD is great, but jeez - watching movies on Bluray is just deluxe.

I have a Panasonic upscaling DVD player, but it got the boot because the PS3 upscales beautifully. It seriously kicks the crap out of that stand-alone unit.

With MediaLink, I think this thing is going to be an absolutely fantastic media center. I think I still prefer the 360's interface to the PS3's right now, but that could be because it's familiar to me. The PS3 interface is classy, I'll say.

HOME seems ultra lame to me, so I'm not looking forward to that at all.

Thanks for the Pixel Junk tip, I'll definitely check that out. I actually have HotShots right now, a friend of mine left it here for me to play. He also left GT5 Prologue - I haven't had time to play either.

I've barely been able to play MGS4, I've been really busy with work.

Also, does flOw get cooler? I dig the atmospheric quality, but the control with the DualShock 3 leaves a little to be desired.

6. diddy macrumors 6502

MediaLink is fantastic software. Every Mac/PS3 owner should have it. =)

flOw gets a little more interesting once you are able to play as different creatures, but yeah. That's pretty much it. I actually fell asleep playing it once.

OH! I will also recommend Everyday Shooter on PSN. Beautiful, addicting, and hard as nails.

7. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Agreed. DVDs look lovely through one of these. The thing that makes this the best player IMO is its *speed*. You're playing a film within a few seconds of turning the machine on. Most blu-ray players aren't anywhere near as fast at starting up. My Toshiba EP35 HD-DVD player takes several minutes to actually start playing the film.

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I would recommend:

WarHawk.....online battles
    Uncharted.....3rd person action adventure
    Oblivion or folklore.....Action RPG goodness
    Ratchet N Clank future: TOD....platforming/action
    Everyday shooter.....PSN title...good music

Bless

9. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

A good selection, but I'll nominate Eye of Judgment as well. I never really got the TCG phenomenon, but EoJ is a lot of fun.

10. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

11. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

There's only one game I play on a consistent basis and that is Call of Duty 4. The multiplayer is amazing and definitely worth a look if you like first person shooters.

P-Worm

12. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Thanks for the Everyday Shooter recommendation - I downloaded it last night, and loved it. Very challenging! That's a good thing.

Now, off to check out Super Stardust HD.

:)

Yes. I was addicted to that one for months over on the 360 side.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

/Just had a heart attack :p

I don't use the PS3 for vids. I even spent a bit of time getting a media centre thingy on my Wii but I never use it. All I use the system for is (or was) MGS4. Probably pick up the full game of GT5, still waiting on the PSP one too :D so I'm probably in for a long wait for both of them.

14. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

If you already have a 360, then there aren't a whole lot of PS3 games left that need to be played (most of the good PS3 games are cross platform, and for most of them, the 360 version is better). However, I will say that I thought Heavenly Sword was a solid game, and well worth playing for anyone that enjoys hack and slash God of War style games.

15. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I enjoyed God of War on PS2. I never got around to playing the sequel.

Isn't Heavenly Sword just GoW with boobs? Not that there is anything wrong with that, just wondering....

16. Porco macrumors 68020

Porco

Definitely Super Stardust HD, Uncharted.

I really like PAIN (PSN) too, it has hidden depths, but is an acquired taste for some, only one main environment right now, but there's a new one coming within the next few months hopefully.

Motorstorm is fun, if you find it cheap.

17. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

There's a PAIN expansion coming soon. I heard it has more content than the original game.

18. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Well, yes it is. I was at Target last week and they had at least a dozen copies of this game on an endcap marked down to $14.98. Well worth it, as you essentially get to play GOW3 a solid year before the real game comes to PS3.

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Everyday shooter is an excellent game. The game is a challenge to complete and I just like the relaxing aura of the game.

The music is nice and relaxing and the final boss is challenging....I haven't kill the boss as yet but I did clear the stage and open up travel mode.

Its a great game...I play it to relax my mind.

Bless