Picked up a Retina 15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tony Danger, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Tony Danger macrumors member

Tony Danger

I just got delivery of my new Macbook Pro this morning:

2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
    16GB 1600MHz memory
    256GB PCIe-based flash storage
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics

Holy crap she's a beauty! I'm upgrading from a 2009 13.3unibody pro. The new machine feels impossibly thin considering specs. The speakers are amazing, and that screen.

I've had a couple of people say you must be mad spending £1400 on a laptop, but the quality of it is amazing. These £600 windows laptops have nothing on it.

2. JTravers macrumors 6502a

3. Tony Danger thread starter macrumors member

Tony Danger

I just can't get over how great it really is. It's stunning. Just getting all my software into it now :)

4. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

The current retina MBPs are amazing pieces of hardware, and now that they have worked out most of the kinks, one of the better laptops Apple has put out in a while.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, cheap windows laptops cannot hold a candle to the MBP, they are a great machine.

Congrats

6. blooperz macrumors 6502

£600 windows machines may not, but £1400 windows machines certainly do. You get what you pay for ;).

7. ninja2000 macrumors 6502

I disagree. A £1400 windows laptop may have better performance than a mbpr but certainly not same/better quality.
    I am no mac fanboy and have a shop that sells high end laptops, I have never found a windows laptop that comes close to the quality.

I use a mbpr13 for my work and have a clevo p650 for gaming. The clevo is a decent machine with amazing power but so many little features drop it short of becoming my work machine.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have to agree with blooperz, there are other good non-mac laptops. You do pay for what you get, and you cannot compare a 600 dollar laptop with a $2,000 laptop.

9. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

Congrats! The MBPr is so beautiful and so far ahead of the competition. I bought my first ever macbook pro retina in early 2014 (late 2013 model). I can't even imagine how they will look in 2-3 years when I buy my next one. I hope they continue to produce amazing machines like this.

10. ninja2000 macrumors 6502

Not trying to start an argument, but please point me in the direction of one of these windows laptops that are as good as a mbpr?
    I have searched for years. Every laptop that I think will be as good as a macbook pro (ignore performance as windows can clearly win here) is let down by some big flaw.
    I have tried:
    Dell XPS range
    Aorus x3 plus
    All alienware (I sell them)
    clevo P650
    MSI GS60 and 70

if you want me to go into detail I can list the faults with each model that stop them being used as a daily machine for me.
    I am still using a mbpr13 2013 at the moment as my daily machine, I would love more power but I am not buying a 15" until it gets updated with something better than a 750m. I currently use a clevo p650 with 970m for gaming. Performance is amazing on the clevo but I would not use it as my daily work machine.

11. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I'll tell you what flaw is found in every PC - the ability to run OS X easily.

You can always buy a Sonnet IIID enclosure and hook up a GTX 780 Ti to a Mac via Thunderbolt 2 and get about 85-90% of the card's full performance.

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-...0gbps-tb2-sonnet-echo-express-iii-d-win8.html

12. krzkrzkrz macrumors member

Am curious. Whats wrong with the Dell XPS 15 inch? I've been looking at this laptop lately. Not to run windows on it. But Linux, since I spend most of my time in a terminal/console.

13. TRC-WA macrumors regular

Grats OP... got mine yesterday... upgraded from a 2013 MBAir.

A sexy piece of hardware.

14. ninja2000 macrumors 6502

The Dell xps 15 is one of the better windows laptops but still suffers with some issues:
    coil whine - check out the notebookreview forum, there are many users suffering with this problem and Dell will not provide a resolution or even fix newer models.
    Wifi issues, although not as bad as the previous xps 15, there are still many wifi issues