Picked up a squaretrade warrantee for my rMB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tbc417, Apr 17, 2015.

1. tbc417 macrumors newbie

Given how small and light this computer is, I have to imagine that i will break some part of it (accidentally) over the next three years. I was planning on picking up applecare for it but apparently it only covers accidental damage on the iPhones and not on computers yet. I would highly recommend for anyone who's interested to pick up a 3 year squaretrade warrantee.

For my setup i needed 1500-2000 in coverage for 3 years. Total cost was $299. Luckily there are tons of squaretrade coupons laying around so I was actually able to get it for $269 all in. Small price to pay for not having to worry about breaking it haha

I have used squaretrade for all my phones before applecare started covering accidental damage and I have never had any issue getting anything replaced.

2. ZipZap macrumors 601

Be sure you understand the $ limit on your SquareTrade insurance contract.

Each and every repair goes against that amount. You pay a deductible. When you've used it up, your insurance is done. Even if that occurs before 3 years have passed.

I don't think their is a OOW replacement cost on this unit, which you could use to gauge the policy.

3. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Another option is adding it to your homeowner/renter insurance. Usually pretty fair priced. I already have a $30k rider for computer equipment on my homeowner's that'll cover it. Wasn't very costly.

4. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Yeah but with a homeowners insurance claim, you usually have $500, $1000, $2000 etc in deductible, making it silly to have for this sort of specific purpose.

$30k rider for computer equipment? What are you running, a server room? That would buy 10 iMac Retinas, or 20 fully loaded MacBooks. Nobody has 30k of computer equipment in their homes. Funny how many people don't understand the basic premise of insurance. They say 90% of Americans have too much, or too little insurance. You seem to have way too much.

So say you pay $50 for that extra policy. If every 2 years you have a laptop stolen, you're basically paying $600 for a replacement (assuming you're at a very unusual low $500 deductible, which you're paying extra for as well). You save about $600 if the worst case happens, then you get dropped for having a claim, and when you go to buy a new policy, it doubles in price because you've filed a claim.

Homeowners Insurance isn't for protecting your laptop, it's for a catastrophic event, such as a total loss of the house, roof caving in, etc.

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

$30k wouldn't even touch a decent server room.

Who are they?

6. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Was more of a joke regarding the server room. You couldn't run a reliable server room out of your house anyhow. Unless your house happened to sit on redundant fiber providers, dual power grids, etc... but that doesn't happen in residential areas.

Regarding your second part, who are they? People like YOU. Care to justify what computer equipment you own that requires a $30,000 insurance policy for the products?

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

Please quote where I said 90% of Americans have too much insurance.

Where did I ever say that I have a $30,000 insurance policy, please quote it?

For the record I only have a $10,000 electronics specific policy and have easily more than double that amount.

For starters this is a partial list of some stuff at home:

• Multiple APC UPS units
    • Cisco Meraki MX60 Security Applicance
    • Cisco Meraki MS220-24P POE Switch
    • 2 Cisco Meraki MS220-8P POE Switch
    • 2 x Cisco Meraki MR32 Wireless Access Points
    • Synology NAS with 37TB of storage
    • HP DL360G7 server
    • HP DL360G8 server
    • 2 x Mac Pro 4,1 with upgraded CPUs
    • MacBook Pro Retina
    • MacBook Air
    • Two Mac Minis
    • 4 x Dell U2415 monitors
    • 2 x Dell U2713H monitors
    • 46" Sony TV that one Mac Mini is hooked up to
    • 52" Samsung TV that one Mac Mini is hooked up to
    • HP Color LaserJet AiO Printer
    • ScanSnap S1500 scanner
    • Raritan KVM
    • Canon EOS 6D DSLR with lenses and battery grip

Things not included are other cheaper switches, Denon receiver, bluray players, speakers, AppleTVs, Roku, Amazon FireTV, iPads, iPhones and other things not remembered.

8. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

This is what we call a hoarder.

9. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

What is it all of the loser posts on MacRumors? Someone posts they have insurance and the pile on begins, including a demand to list his equipment to somehow justify this insurance and funny that poster seemingly can't even read so jumps the wrong poster. Get a life people.

10. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Funny how out of your last 10 posts, 6 were telling people that they're whining, or that they are acting childishly, or that you think they're irrational. All hail to your perfection and contributions to this forum.

11. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Just to clear it up, I have the 30k rider. And not that it's anyone's business what I run but roughly 6 compute servers, 2 SAN servers, 1 Cisco Firewall, 8 Cisco routers, 4 Cisco APs, 4 Cisco switches, 2 HP switches, 2 MacBooks, 1 iMac, 1 gaming computer and some misc crap. I'll be downsizing the extra Cisco gear by using VIRL soon (or I hope, depends on how well it works out).

It's over 30k retail, but I bought some on eBay for less. I use it for my career in IT/development. I lab everything at home before I recommend/deploy with my company.

Deductible on that rider is $250. I have it in case of fire, water damage or kids being kids. No point in buying something specific to any one device like the macbook. Even if I didn't have all that crap, it'd still be cheaper to go with homeowners for me. I've also seen many others post about it being more affordable in these forums too.