Picked up an IPad after mishap with MacBook pro

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Hoggle, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Hoggle, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

Hoggle macrumors newbie

I found out the other night that apple juice does not mix well with laptops. My wife actually knocked it over on the table with the 13" mid '09 MBP, and we cleaned it off very quickly, and it worked fine...but not for long. My wife called me at work to say that it was not working anymore, and sure enough, the keyboard will light up, but nothing on the screen. I opened the back and realized that some of the liquid leaked inside the unit as well. We stopped at our local Apple Store to see if anything could be done. It could be sent out to get fixed for a low flat rate of onle $750.

We wanted to look at other possible alternatives, and started to think about an IPad. We have a desktop pc, and mainly used the MBP for browsing the web, and simple things like that. With Christmas around the corner We didn't want to spend a ton...(even though $500 is a lot for us, and I didn't want to go over that). It was really between an IPad, or a net book, or inexpensive pc laptop.

I had been interested in an IPad for quite some time, and decided to go with the 16gb wifi version, as I already have a 64gb touch 3rd gen for music. I realize that it can't take the place of a MacBook, or laptop for that matter, but I am very happy with it so far, aside from being completely bummed out over the MBP. I really was going to wait next year for the next gen IPad, but again I'm happy with this.

I'm going to pick up the case today, and will eventually look into getting a stand and Bluetooth keyboard as well...even though it as surprisingly easy to type this post from the IPad.

By the way, any tips out there for the MacBook, or is is more than likely completely fried? I'm going to let it sit for a long while and check it again, but I don't hold much hope....

2. Roadking macrumors 6502

Sorry about the apple juice.

At least you have another computer for all the big stuff.

Enjoy your new iPad.

3. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

Might be worth looking into repairs from somewhere else than Apple. May be cheaper.

4. TomCondon macrumors regular

why don't you claim for the MBP on your house + contents insurance?

5. MsMerryMac macrumors regular

Well, if you're going to kill and Apple Mac, what better way than with apple juice. To ironic. Sorry to hear about the loss, I would be quite sad without my MBP. BUT...I actually use my iPad more these days. :eek:

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

The ipad is a pretty good alternative to a laptop for light users, especially for use around the house.

7. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

The iPad is so much nicer than a laptop to casually surf on and the odd app store game is really nice.

8. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

It's better to use apple juice than to use orange juice, I would say ;)
    But its very painful when it happens, I know from my own experience. And such a new MacBook Pro 13" is a perfect computer that could have lasted for years with that kind of use.

The ipad is an excelent choice If you ask me. $500 is a lot of money, but the iPad is IMHO well worth it.
    The iPad is the ideal surfing / socializing/ light mailing machine and a lot better in use, battery life, screen and build quality than the average net book or cheap laptop.
    I'm using mine a lot for reading business news, digital news letters, regular newspapers and macrumors-forums and the likes. Works better than my mbp13", iMac or what other device I've ever come across.
    I hope the new iPad has a much longer life and a lot of good pleasurable use!

9. Crugga macrumors regular

I did the same a month back with coffee.
    Bought the iPad as a stop gap while I claimed on the insurance.
    They've just paid out as it was a write off and I've bought a used mac pro with the money.
    Am I now selling the iPod?, am I Eck. This thing is beyond useful and my iPhone has become somewhat redundant. If anything goes it'll be the phone.

Thing is if you decide you need a macbook again, you won't lose much on the iPad, providing you keep it mint and with all the box and receipts etc.

10. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

Do you eat rice at your house? We have a giant tub of rice, and if an electronic get wet, we stick it in the tub. The rice absorbs the liquid, and it ended up saving my Dad's phone from extensive milk damage.

On topic: what things did you do on the MBP that you find yourself wanting to do on the iPad? I'm considering an iPad purchase (most likely v2), so it'd be nice to hear your thoughts as a standalone computer (since my '06 MB is getting a bit too clunky).

11. andrewsd macrumors 6502

sorry about your luck

Man that stinks.. I spilled tea on mine a week after purchasing it and I got really lucky that everything worked our fine. My friend has a MBP and an iPad. He uses the iPad more now then the MBP. He has even thought about selling his MBP but he also has a MacPro.