Picked up ATV3

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Well, I went ahead and got it. I debated it as it is not jailbroken yet, but I am glad I went ahead and got it. I am using unblock us so I can get netflix us and hulu plus. It works great, you just have to have a us netflix account. I have one and opened a hulu plus account. would it be better jailbroken? Absolutely. Am I glad I went ahead and got it? Absolutely. I wanted the 1080p support. Overall I am very happy. Next a mac mini itunes server (when I can).

Saleshark

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
Leeds
Well, I went ahead and got it. I debated it as it is not jailbroken yet, but I am glad I went ahead and got it. I am using unblock us so I can get netflix us and hulu plus. It works great, you just have to have a us netflix account. I have one and opened a hulu plus account. would it be better jailbroken? Absolutely. Am I glad I went ahead and got it? Absolutely. I wanted the 1080p support. Overall I am very happy. Next a mac mini itunes server (when I can).
I'm in the UK, I'm just waiting for a ATV3 to be delivered. Do you know if unblock us would work for me?

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Yes unblock-us works to give you US netflix and Hulu plus in the UK.

Note that because netflix is available in the UK, you don't have to create a US account, a UK one works fine with Netfix US.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Yes unblock-us works to give you US netflix and Hulu plus in the UK.

Note that because netflix is available in the UK, you don't have to create a US account, a UK one works fine with Netfix US.

I know here in mexico you have to have a us account to access the us stuff. If I access a mexican netflix account through unblock us and see the us content it still will not work. You have to set up a us account. I just figured it was that way elsewhere.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I picked one up too tonight.

Not interested in "jailbreaking," just wanted in the Kitchen for AirPlay & Home Sharing.

I love it, I would've pick up another one for my Home Theater but just use my Samsung Galaxy S3 to stream it.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
I know here in mexico you have to have a us account to access the us stuff. If I access a mexican netflix account through unblock us and see the us content it still will not work. You have to set up a us account. I just figured it was that way elsewhere.
Just making sure that you're switching the location region on Unblock itself. On my US Netflix account I can access all the various country libraries.

MightyWhite

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012
Oxford UK
Sorry to sound like a plank.... What is unblock? Where do I get it and how?

Cheers

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Just making sure that you're switching the location region on Unblock itself. On my US Netflix account I can access all the various country libraries.
I will take a look at that. It used to be that you had to do it that way.

Wow, you are correct. Thanks. I was using a sony blu ray (before it died) and we have a wii (kids) and you had to do them both that way. This atv gets better all the time.:)

I will also add that the video from netflix and hulu plus are both better on the atv3 than the other 2.

Last edited:

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
I will take a look at that. It used to be that you had to do it that way.

Wow, you are correct. Thanks. I was using a sony blu ray (before it died) and we have a wii (kids) and you had to do them both that way. This atv gets better all the time.:)

I will also add that the video from netflix and hulu plus are both better on the atv3 than the other 2.
Glad I could help you. That selector on Unblock works so nicely now.

I don't bother setting up individual devices. I put the settings into the router itself and let that cover the entire household.

eyendall

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2012
The issue for Netflix and others when outside the US is I think payment for the downloads/streaming. You have to pay using a US credit card. I am in Canada and had this problem with iTunes/US. I ended up using US$ Apple gift cards. I registered with Netflix US also using a US address but had no simple way to pay them from Canada.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Glad I could help you. That selector on Unblock works so nicely now.

I don't bother setting up individual devices. I put the settings into the router itself and let that cover the entire household.
Yes, I did that at first but it messed up the (non english speaking) kids on the wii. It's not that easy for me.

----------

The issue for Netflix and others when outside the US is I think payment for the downloads/streaming. You have to pay using a US credit card. I am in Canada and had this problem with iTunes/US. I ended up using US$ Apple gift cards. I registered with Netflix US also using a US address but had no simple way to pay them from Canada.
I only have us cards, navy federal credit union.

CanonX

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2010
You can now get Netflix in the UK so don't need a US account. When you change the DNS it will allow you to access the US content. Easy!