Picked up iPhone from ATT, Can't Make Calls

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by szap, Jul 17, 2008.

1. szap macrumors newbie

I just picked up my iPhone 3G from my ATT store, the guy made me agree to the contract over the phone using ATT's contract acceptance line. He hooked it up to the computer and registered it then gave it to me and told me he was done. I got home and tried to make a call and was greeted with ATT's contract acceptance line again. I accepted it again and tried making another call. Same thing. I called ATT and they told me to call 1-800-MYIPHONE. Has anyone else had this problem or know how to fix it?

Edit: He used my existing SIM for the whole process.

2. szap thread starter macrumors newbie

Nobody else has had this problem? I don't understand why ATT is referring me to Apple when it seems like the problem is on ATT's side. When I was at the store, the guy checking me out kept asking the manager questions and the manager kept saying he can't over ride this and that. I don't know what he was talking about, but finally it seemed like everything was going through after they refreshed the page.

3. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

You sure the guy in the store properly activated it in iTunes?

I would hook it up to your pc and itunes and see.

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Did you try plugging it into your computer and seeing what iTunes did?!

5. szap thread starter macrumors newbie

I hooked it up and I started the process and I didn't think I had an Apple ID so I started entering in all my information for a new one, but apparently, I already had one registered to my e-mail address. I skipped what I thought was registration for the Apple store, but maybe I skipped the whole activation. Is there anyway to restart the process?

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Restore your iPhone. When it's done with that it will give you the option to set it up as a new phone or do a backup. Set it up as a new phone and see what happens.

Make sure you have all your contacts synced to Outlook or written down somewhere though.

7. szap thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll give it a shot and see what happens. I hope it works because I'm going out of town tomorrow and don't want to have to deal with this before I leave.

8. szap thread starter macrumors newbie

Restoring it didn't allow me to go through the new setup again. I'm going to try swapping the SIM cards and restoring it again and see if that does it. For $500 and $30 extra a month, I expect a little better service than telling me to call an automated phone number. My store only received 2 iPhones today and there wasn't anyone else in the store activating a phone yet they still couldn't get it right. There was another guy in the store who received an email notification with a tracking number that said his phone had arrived at the store. He thought the other one was for him, but it turned out that it got shipped to the wrong address somehow. I wish i knew how that situation turned out, but I left before the got to the bottom of it. I felt bad for him on the way out, but not when I got home.

9. szap thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, that didn't work either. I'm starting to get frustrated.

10. szap thread starter macrumors newbie

I finally got through to someone that was able to fix it. I don't know what the problem was, but he did some stuff to my account and now it works.