Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rainsk8ter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Hey all-

I picked up a iphone for cheap on craigslist since it had a cracked corner.

I have been reading about iphones and the forums and it looks like it has been jailbroken and unlocked (v1.1.4). I also do not have a data plan yet so I have not attached my SIM card to the device. I kinda want to make sure I can get the physical crack fixed before I activate my account and buy the data plan (AT&T).

So here are my questions, feel free to let me know what you would do.

#1.) What should I do about the cracked corner? Can I take it to a Apple store to take a look (he said it might be still under warranty)

#2.) I am also worried that I bought the iphone on craigslist on ebay that it might be stolen. Is this something i should be worried about?

#3.) Can you have the genius bar take a look at your iphone without a proper iphone data plan?

#4.) Is it possible to revert the 'hacks' for the iphone for the genius bar to take a look at it?

#5.) Is there a way to delete all the custom applications that were installed before I got the unit. I tried delete all settings but the apps still remain.

Thanks

Samarium

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2008
@ home.
Warranty doesnt cover cosmetic/accidental damages. So, the only thing you should care is if its stolen.

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
#3.) Can you have the genius bar take a look at your iphone without a proper iphone data plan?
no, you need an official iphone contract to get service/warranty

#4.) Is it possible to revert the 'hacks' for the iphone for the genius bar to take a look at it?
see above

#5.) Is there a way to delete all the custom applications that were installed before I got the unit. I tried delete all settings but the apps still remain.
restore from in itunes

zilog

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2008
pre-paid plan

I believe you could try to do a "prepaid plan" and then take your phone to the store. I am not sure how exactly you change your current ATT plan to the prepaid plan. Any one else know?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.